SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elle110

Help for M&P Soap

elle110
20 years ago

Hi,

I am a fairly new M&P Soap Crafter, I am going nuts with the base. The Clear & Opaque Soap have a musty smell to them.

The first batch I bought I thought maybe it was just a bad distributor so I changed companys and now I have the same smell even after melting the soap, waiting for cool down and adding fragrance. By the time the loaf cools I can smell that same moldy musty smell.

Can anyone help? I am trying to get loaves of soap ready for a craft show in September and I am about ready to SCREAM.

Comments (15)

• Hazel_SC
    20 years ago

I guess the first question is:

• where did you get the base from?

• How are you heating it-stovetop or microwave?

• What temp are you heating it to?

• How did your base come-in small trays or a large block & how are you storing it, & where are you storing it

It's hard to guess anything at this point w/o more info.
    However each company's base tends to be different, & just because YOU bought from someone different, doesn't meant they it is different base-they could ultimately be from the same manafacturer.

Could also be that you aren't adding enough fragrance oils to the base. M&P soap base DOES have a smell of it's own. Some are very mild, hardly noticable, some are MUCH more pronounced, & are harder to get scent to come through on.

Give us more info & we'll give it a shot!

Hazel

• elle110
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Ok,
    I am heating the soap up to about 150 degrees via the microwave, (it has the smell before I heat up), I got the soap from "Natures Garden", it comes in 2lb scored trays, I am storing it in my house in a dry cool area, I am using approx. 3 T. of FO per 4lbs of soap. I am adding fragrance about 120 degrees.

Thanks for any help you can give me. It is very disappointing to get an entire loaf done and smell that musty smell.

• Related Discussions

My latest creations (M&P)

Q

Comments (4)
    Ok, I loaded the pic on aol but it's huge! I will try to fix later :) Here is a link that might be useful: pics
    ...See More

Olive Oil in M&P soaps?

Q

Comments (1)
    Sure why not? What smells if not scented? The finished soap, or the soap base? I'd guess the finished soap would smell like the base, or little bit of the oil you add if it has a scent as well. Olive oil is a great skin oil.
    ...See More

Looking for M&P Shaving Soap Recipe

Q

Comments (0)
    I am looking for a recipe for a shaving soap made from M&P bas that does not call for any liquid soap to be added. Does anyone know of any? Thanks, Dianne
    ...See More

Why do m&p over cp soaps?

Q

Comments (13)
    I thought I'd chime in as a pro CP person. I've done both methods, but personally prefer CP because I like the feeling of making something from scratch. I know what goes into my soap from beginning to end, which is great for me since I have sensitive skin. CP is definitely a lot more labor intensive than M&P, but I find it relaxing and therapeutic. It's also much more complicated since you're working with lye, and ingredients that you might put into M&P soap with no problem will turn out all different sorts of ways when you introduce it to lye. It's even MORE complicated if you're interested in designing your own soap recipe because it involves balancing chemical reactions and understanding the various properties of different oils. I love it, though, because it appeals to my geeky side. And once you learn it, it's not that difficult. Anyway, I agree with Hazel. Try both and see what you personally like. You might want to start with M&P to break yourself into the whole experience. That's how I started. I later moved into CP once I'd tried M&P. Good luck!
    ...See More
  • Hazel_SC
    20 years ago

I've never gotten any base from them. A lot of us here use wholesale supplies plus for base. Nice clear base, no funky smells before, or after. For a while they were having problems getting a consistantly good supply that met their standards, so they now have a manafacturer than produces their base, & from what they tell me, they purchase the majority of what this company manafactures.

Sounds like you are not over heating, & your adding scent at a good temp.

In other words, sounds like YOU are doing everything right, so it must be the base itself.

Sounds like it could be the same base, just bought from a different place than last time.Unfortunetly, alot of places will sell whatever, whithout ever testing it.
    Any way you can return any unused/unopened base to Natures garden, & get some from somewhere else?

If you'd like to email me your address, I'd be happy to send you about ½ pound of the base I have from wholesale supplies so you can try it, & see how it compares.

(I have no connection to this company, & don't get anything from them-I just think they have a good product, at a decent price. They ship promptly, pack well, & if there ever is a problem, they fix it quick. I've only had 1 problem in about 3+ years of dealing with them, & I order several hundred pounds of soap a year from them.)

Hazel

Here is a link that might be useful: soap base supplies

• elle110
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I would love to email you my address, what is your email address? Also, I just called Natures Garden and told them the problem with the soap, she is supposed to look into and get back with me, we will see how easy it is to return the soap. Unfortunately I bought a large amount (stupid)

I already got on the website you gave me and their prices are great! Thanks again for the help. I wish I would have joined this forum earlier b4 purchasing the soap

Elle

• elle110
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Well,
    I just heard back from Nature's Garden, she says I am smelling the coconut oil and I should just let the bars air out. She said they got some of the soap out of the warehouse and smelled what I am talking about but let it sit awhile and it dissipated. ?????

She also said it was safe for me to add 1 T. of FO per 1 pound of soap, If that is the case I have really not been adding enough. Is sbe right about the amount of FO per pound.

Even if this does work out I am definitely going to use the website you gave me, and they are only in OH so that will hopefully save on shipping cost being close.

Thanks
    Elle

• Hazel_SC
    20 years ago

Elle,
    If you click on the My Page near my name in this post, it will let you email me form there. (don't want to post the email addy)

It wouldn't hurt to add some more Fo to the mix, also, try taking some soap out & airing it to see if it helps.....but it makes me think that the coconut soap may not be great quality if it is whats smelling....it might be worth returning it.

Hazel

• sriston
    20 years ago

I use SFIC base (white) and it has no odor at all. I have heard people say that the coconut oil base does have an odor. Anyway, I always use 1 tablespoon of FO per pound of base, sometimes more if the fragrance oil is weak.
    Susan

• elle110
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I made several more batches of soap and increased the amount of FO to a T. per lb and the soap is smelling better. I made a lavendar Oatmeal for someone and they loved it, I also made several bars of Baby Soap and it turned out great. When I reorder I will be getting from WSP.

Now I am trying to refine my body butter. I like it smoother than most recipes make it. I have been experimenting with glycerin in my revised recipe. Also trying to cut down on how oily it can make your skin.

My lip butters are pretty much the way I want just have to get them done (been waiting 2 wks for my flavor oils to come in from a seller on Ebay)

Last but not least I am also fiddling with the bath bombs, I live in a very humid area and they have been cracking once set up. I am going to try a different recipe this weekend. I make them in medium size round ornaments. I really want them to be available for my show, I think they make a great addition to my other items.

Well, sorry for the rambling but it helped me to organize my thoughts. I can't stop thinking about soap etc.

Elle

• sriston
    20 years ago

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed your rambling! This forum has been so inactive lately that it is quite exciting to actually find a new post! I am glad your soap is turning out better. I have never tried my hand at bath bombs. I bought some and I didn't like them; to be dry, they are very oily critters once they are in the tub. I don't mind soaking in all of that oil, but the bathtub cleanup is a pain in the rear!
    Susan

• elle110
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I know what you mean about the bath bombs being oily, I have actually been trying to use Grapeseed oil, less oily and absorbs quickly into the skin, but I have to get the cracking thing worked out.

I am trying to get enough stuff together to at least get my pics to the festival commission. There are about 150,000 families that attend this event, hoping to sell alot.

I got another outside order yesterday for soap and body butters, so that is keeping me busy also.

But it is fun. I went yesterday to K-Mart to see if they had any soap mold, don't even have a Craft Dept. It is slim pickens for Craft Stores where I live in N. Ky, I am going to Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's today. I get tired of having to order everything.

Anyway, I am glad I joined this forum, I'm sure my friends were getting a little sick of the constant soap talk, I mean every converstion led to SOAP! lol

See ya
    Michelle

• Hazel_SC
    20 years ago

My bath bomb recipe doesn't have any oil in it other than the fragrance oil or essential oil.
    My customers & friends have never had a problem with excess oil in the tub.
    They are pretty dry to mix, & occasionally do crack, but I use flat molds (soap molds in shapes-hearts etc) as opposed to a ball shape.
    If you want to do a ball shape, hae you tried a meatball scooper thing? You can squeeze them pretty tight in there.....

Hazel

• elle110
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hazel,
    I rec'd the soap today, I love it, I cannot believe it, there is no smell. I can't wait to order.

Has anyone used any of the bakery cake silicone molds?
    I just bought one, I can't wait to make one and scent with B'day cake fragrance.

What soap are everyone going to do for fall, besides Halloween?

Thanks so much Hazel

Michelle

• sriston
    20 years ago

I have been thinking about fall fragrances, for both soap and candles. The candle fragrances are pretty easy to come up with, but I just can't seem to get any fall soap ideas. I don't like Halloween so I avoid that and try to focus on autumn. Soap is difficult for me to come up with seasonal fragrances for, though, because autumn fragrances just don't seem to be "soap" fragrances.
    Susan

• elle110
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I agree, candles are so much easier. I am not a Halloween fan either, I know alot of other people love it and like to decorate with lots of decorations.

I am having an easier time coming up with Christmas ideas. I might try something with pumpkin spice but am not sure how that will go over in soap and lotions. Probably another good fall scent would be something with Apples. I will have to see.

I have not ventured into candles yet but that is one of my next trys once I get everything formulated to my likings on several of the bath & body products.

Michelle

• Hazel_SC
    20 years ago

Glad to know the soap arrived & you're happy with it.

I've done some pumpkin pie soap & one called autumn harvest for fall, & one called victorian christmas that I start at fall show & go thur the end of Nov. with. All do well.

I will post the bath bomb recipe as soon as I get a chance.

Hazel

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!