SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19718084

how to locate holes behind installed cabinets?

User
12 years ago

When we bought our home, we knew the kitchen had been remodeled. New cabinetry along one whole wall, with fridge and stove, around corner to sink and dishwasher. In winter, the floors are really cold near the corner of sink, and again in front of pantry. From looking at the home repairs and other things, I think previous owner had no experience in installing cabinets, and instead of repairing holes in walls, he left them, thinking they wouldn't matter since they are behind the cabinets. Problem is, all cabinets were installed on top of new tile, which has 1/4 in. grout lines, and isn't a real smooth tile. Room for air flow. So, now that I know there has to be leaks in the walls, how do we find out where they are without taking cabinetry completely out? The pantry is a separate unit, with trim that extends across adjoining cabinets, not easy to remove. The sink unit is butted against cabinet around corner, so counter top is "L" shaped, and would be difficult for us to remove, we are not spring chickens. The reason I'm sure we have holes is that the floor is not cold in front of fridge, cabinet and stove, which are all next to each other and easy to feel cold from the other two places compared to there. And, yes, both of the walls are outside walls. We may be able to remove siding on wall outside behind sink, but wall behind pantry is brick. And one have any ideas how we can find the air leak? Our butget is limited, but we may be able to save on heating costs. Thanks so much

Comments (6)