SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Return in this location? Healthy Climate installed here?

andrelaplume2
5 years ago

Ok, I have my estimates for adding a Healthy Climate filter unit and a Return and new vent. I was not sure if I should start a new thread or not but since the focus is a little different, I did. However, Klem1...thanks for the prior words...appreciate them. FYI: We suffer mold / pollen allergies as me suffering dog...and we have a dog! I now have more details and pics below.

The UV light thing is out. Wishy Washy reviews and too expensive.

I am seriously contemplating the Healthy Climate filter. It’s $550 installed. Klem1 stated that sounded reasonable. The unit and filter are only $105 on amazon but I am not comfortable doing the install. I have a picture below of where they want to install it. It looks easy for how expensive it is but don’t try to convince me to attempt it! You guys are pros with the right tools and experience. I am Joe Homeowner posting questions, watching videos with only basic tools at hand! Here is where they want to put it.

In this pic I am standing the 20 x 20 portion of the basement looking into the 12 x 20 tv area....excuse the mess!

The Trane unit is behind the sliders with accessibility from front or side. Across from the front of the unit is a washer / dryer and dehumidifier. Here is a picture of the front of the unit:

Here is a picture of the side and where they want to put the Healthy Climate Filter, between the green Trane unit and duct:

So, from an HVAC perspective, any issue with where they want to put it? From a reality perspective, is it worth $550, ie will I see any real change in air quality. Recall I do have two portable purifiers, one in my bedroom, the furthest duct run and another in the tv area of the basement which, currently has no vent or return. I could continue to run the purifiers either way I guess. But would this Healthy Climate make a difference in the other rooms of the home without compromising my Trane unit in any way or robbing my bedroom of cool air, again it’s above the garage and at times on the cusp of being a bit uncomfortable and I have read mixed reviews of these filters impeding air flow . They said I should use a MERV 11 max.

Finally, I am thinking of adding a return myself and forgoing the vent in the tv area...at least for now. Recall, I do have ONE vent in the 20 x 20 area on the other side of the basement. They suggested I install the return through the face of the vertical blue board that sits right near the Trane unit / washer /dryer / dehumidifier area as you enter the 12 x 20 tv room. Here is a picture from another angle, the Trane unit is at the far left. The short duct run is the return.

They said an 8 x 12 return would be fine which is about as big as can fit if I do what they said. Again, they recommend the return be put all the way down by the Trane unit. PS: The real factor in having them **not** do it is cost....$700 for the return and one vent....which btw was $200 a few years back. They said I should have no problem doing it myself so I assume HD sells a register and something to bridge the small gap between the face and duct board behind it...if not spray foam. Any issues with putting a return here? Will it make any difference? Perhaps the dehumidifier below it will run less? Perhaps somehow it won’t get quite as hot in the tv area on those very hot days of summer?

I have the sales guy’s thoughts. He seemed knowledgeable but I have been around long enough to know to get advice from the actual installers as well. Hope you can offer any real world experience and/or have a Healthy CLimate you can comment on. THANKS!

Comments (8)