SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Anyone want to talk about loved ones they've lost?

lavender_lass
11 years ago

My friend Breezy (on the Kitchen forum) just lost her dad. I really miss my grandmother and I know others have lost loved ones, on the forum. Did you know there's actually a grieving forum? Pretty dark, but I'm sure helpful, to many.

Anyway, I thought it might be nice to start a thread about loved ones we miss...but make if more like a wake, than a funeral. I'm sure this will eventually get sent to the 'Conversations' side, but I wanted everyone to see it. So many times I want to share a funny story or memory of my grandmother...and I'm sure others feel that way, too.

So, if anyone wants to share a story or just talk about someone they miss...let's do it.

My grandmother was a wonderful woman. She was strong-willed (okay, stubborn LOL) but always fair and would discuss almost anything. She was never closed minded and if you could make a strong case for something, she was willing to approach it with an open mind.

She was a great baker, teaching me to bake chocolate chip cookies, when I was 3 1/2. She loved to bake breads, rolls, cakes, cookies...and she could cook, too! She enjoyed sewing and probably would have been a fashion designer, in a different time. She also had a beautiful singing voice and won statewide contests in her late teens...and she could paint, too!

She had so many interests...it was fun to see someone, who never let life, her age, distractions, keep her from enjoying a rich and creative life. Even as her health declined, she was always an avid reader and had a better 'education' than many of the college professors she worked for, as a secretary...once the kids were grown and out of the house.

Although she chose marriage and children, instead of a career (difficult to do both, back then) she said she never regretted her choices. She loved her children and grandchildren...and always found time to enjoy life! She was a wonderful role model, to us all :)

Anyone else want to talk about their loved one?

Comments (7)