Japanese hybrid house plans

graymoss
17 years ago

{{gwi:2066331}}

The floorplan

{{gwi:2066332}}

The other side..

{{gwi:2066333}}

General seating setup. The coffee table has a dual purpose...

{{gwi:2066334}}

It doubles as a dining table for sitting & eating Japanese style - with feet inside a pit, for comfort. This pit allows the table to fit snugly inside for storage as well - covered with a board/floor covering when not in use (see above pic)

{{gwi:2066335}}

A closer view of the dining area.... and the alcove. A place to display ikebana, bonsai, ceramics or paintings/sculpture for seasonal interest..

The panels adjacent will be decorated with a simple monochrome ink wash bamboo painting

{{gwi:2066336}}

The eat-in kitchen for quick meals - when not in the mood to sit on the floor On the other side is the small study/computer desk which opens into the living room. (That's my whiteboard on the wall)

{{gwi:2066337}}

The bedroom and full bath with a closet for the W&D - the linen press is wide enough to store the ironing board, and the bathroom closet will house the utilities.

The bedroom will also open directly onto the garden

{{gwi:2066338}}

A closer view of bath and laundry closet - I've made the door semi-transparent in order to see the stacked W&D / sink

{{gwi:2066339}}

The bathoom exterior wall will be enclosed with a high fence, allowing a small courtyard which can be viewed directly from the tub.

{{gwi:2066340}}

And for my little surprise... the fusuma panels slide into their recess next to the alcove to reveal a 15' wide screen for movie nights.

The alcove will have a roll-a-shutter to close it off, and the main doors to the garden will also have sliding shutters which will cover the shoji and glass doors

{{gwi:2066341}}

A 2.40:1 aspect ratio acoustic screen, with full side masking ... speakers will be behind, as it will be an acoustically trasparent material. The projector is mounted in the study, along with the computer & hi fi components...

Comments (9)