SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

I'm Dizzy From Going Around in Circles

aloha2009
12 years ago

We have a layout which had it's challenges, but it's choosing the finishes and styles that's going to push me over the edge.

For weeks and weeks, we have poured through sooooooo many pictures on the web and books and haven't narrowed things down much at all. The only thing we have figured out is that we love modern. The end.

We like the dramaticness of black, white and chrome, but are concerned about it being too dark (we've ALWAYS liked a lighter kitchen). We've tweaked the black, until it loses it's drama. We're trying to keep it dramatic, while keeping it bright. We've tried so many combinations and none seem right (especially for at night). We need it to look good day and night.

We're also gravitating some towards a medium tone wood. Since we've never been into wood kitchens, it seems very foreign. When we see pics of modern kitchens, they don't jump out at us like wow, but there is a soft, that seems nice. We don't typically go for safe, so that doesn't seem like the direction. Modern wood cabinets, remind me of the 50's which I'm not so comfortable with.

We can't even figure out if we want dramatic or soft, bright or dark. So basically we're lost. Designers want you to give some inspiration pics but we are all over the board. We need help, but we don't know where to go.

Comments (28)

• User
    12 years ago

Gray stained cabinets like wizardnm? They're bright, modern, and unusual, and you could add what drama you wish with countertop, wall color, or backsplash.

Here is a link that might be useful: first photo in this thread

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

sochi kitchen... do a search... it's incredible

• Related Discussions

Chasing blueberry pH in circles, I'm dizzy

Q

Comments (31)
    It looks like you've found your answer Fruitnut. Since there has been some confusion about what pH is, I wanted to add a few comments about it. I don't remember that much about it myself, but have had discussions with my daughter, and she's pretty brainy on the topic. It's interesting to me how it works, and this is how I understand it. pH measures the amount of positively charged H ions/cations. The small "p" stands for the latin term pondus (weight) and the "H" stands for the term Hydrogen (That's why the "p" is always lower case, and the "H" is upper case.) The reason the pH scale is logarithmic is that a solution with a neutral pH of 7 will have 10 to the minus 7 moles of Hydrogen ions per liter. A solution with pH of 6 will have 10 to the minus 6 moles of Hydrogen ions per liter (10 to the minus 6 being 10 times more than 10 to the minus 7). So as the pH reduces there is a greater and greater concentration of hydrogen ions till you finally get to a theoretical pH of 0, which would be 10 to the zero power, or one. In other words the solution would be more or less 100% hydrogen ions. Interestingly, there is also a pOH scale which also measures alkaline/acidity and is the inverse of the pH scale. OH is a negatively charged ion/anion. A pOH of 8 would be the equivalent of a pH of 6. But what's interesting to me is how it comes together. Everyone knows water is H2O. In theoretical terms pure water has a pH of 7 and a pOH of 7. That means there are exactly as many free roaming H+ ions as there are OH- ions (10 to the minus 7 of each), which when come together form H2O. Sometimes pH probes can be in error because they only measure cations. Hydrogen is not the only cation. Sodium also has a plus one charge and Calcium has a plus 2 charge. The cheaper probes we are talking about will pick up Sodium and Calcium cations in their measurement. You can try it yourself to see if it affects your probe. Take a glass of water from the sink and measure the pH. Then add some table salt to the water and check again. Chances are the probe will indicate a reduction in pH, even though it hasn't really occurred. The probe is picking up the Sodium ions. I've tried it, and while the error isn't huge, there is some error.
    ...See More

I'm going to pull out my hair if I have to pull one more weed!!

Q

Comments (5)
    an easier way fell into my lap, well mail box, really. 2 little boys down the road left a flyer in my mailbox and i'm having them de-weed my garden and re mulch. nice cheap labor. haha. Try to find something similar in your area.
    ...See More

uh-oh, i'm so excited, i'm going to p

Q

Comments (35)
    Yeah, my neigbhors asked me how I was able to achieve that many plants. They saw me working on the garden around early March. They were curious about the garden beds I was making. They saw the milk jugs. I explained to them what it was and also gave them the Wintersown site. I actually watched their reactions when they saw it. They didn't pay much attention to it kinda like "oh, ok". However, when plants started to come out/bloom, they went back to me and asked, "was that from the tiny greenhouse". :) I'm going to make more beds maybe by fall once my knee gets better. :D Thanks mnwsgal! :)
    ...See More

Have you ever said 'I'm tired and I'm going in, just as soon ...'

Q

Comments (15)
    ... All the time. I never seem to know when to stop, even with hubby calling out the door "Time to come in now". When it's hot I pin a pillow slip with crushed ice in it around my neck. When it gets dark I turn on the outside lights, but try to come in by 10 PM so the lights don't bother the neighbors. I'd rather be outside than inside any ole' day and gardening gives me an excuse to be there. Incidentally, for insect bites Bob happened to notice that HEB brand antibiotic ointment has a topical pain reliever in it so it stops the itch of mosquito bites very nicely. Maybe other brands have it too. Well, almost time to put the rolls in the oven. My computer is right next to the kitchen so it's easy to take a little rest from cooking in that chair :-) Wishing you all a blessed Easter Sunday ...
    ...See More
  • dianalo
    12 years ago

We are doing a vintage modern, 1940s era. We have white cabs with chrome hardware and a black and gray floor. It is bright and light but the floor gives it depth. If we used different hardware and did not use a vintage stove and sink, I'd say it would look entirely modern. The slab front cabs look very neat and clean and the wall color sets a lot of the tone. Our cabs are semi-glossy and smooth and not the painted kind.
    Our counters are Corian Rain Cloud which has a semi-modern look, but you might want to try Caesarstone or Silestone. You could also do walnut counters with the non-wood cabs.

It may already be on your radar, but you should look at the IKEA catalog and then go see their displays in person. They do a lot of modern. It may give you some ideas.

• noebee1313
    12 years ago

What about black base cabinets and white uppers-- Ikea has some really modern uppers with frosted glass and chrome accents (I think), that you could Google for inspiration. That might give you the drama you like, with the black lowers, but the white/light uppers might help keep the overall feeling from being too dark.
    Regardless of whether or not you like Ikea, or would even buy from them, they do tend to show a lot of modern-looking kitchens on their website, so you could browse there. Or google modern black (or white, or chrome...)kitchens and checkout what images it pulls up. Ask yourself what DETAILS in each kithen make that kithen great. Not just looking at the kithen as a whole. When I see kitchens I like, I try to figure out WHY I like them---

Modern can also be achieved and intensified through the door style-- a slab-style door reads very modern to me (meaning just one flat sheet of wood or metal, no details or panel.) So you could in theory use any color or material, and just get a slab door and it would read modern. I also think modern cabinets should be full overlay, whether or not you go frameless.

There are lots of ways to make a kitchen look Modern-- the cabinet colors, or style, the backsplash, the lighting, the floors, the faucets/hardware, the countertops-- but if you go to the extreme with every detail it will be too much I think. So maybe try to decide what will be the standout modern-styled items in your kitchen (maybe pick 3) and have everything else be just beautiful backdrop. So maybe a basic wood cabinet door would work, if the counter material was super shiny black quartz, all the hardware/ faucets /lights were chrome and you did a high impact glass backsplash. There are many was to achieve this, and although this seems to be the part you are struggling with, if you can figure out what elements will be the "drama points" you may be able to choose the other elements easier. Good luck!!

• kitchenaddict
    12 years ago

Hi aloha..

Do you have windows in your kitchen? If so, I wouldn't worry about it being too dark with black cabinets. I have a dark cab kitchen, as well as dark dining room furniture (recently gel-stained).. I lighten it up with wall color, counters, and backsplash. Love the contrast.

What do you think about these dark, but light kitchens...don't know if they are modern enough for you..

Can you post some pictures of kitchens you gravitate towards?

KA:)

target="_blank">

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Aloha- Photobucket is not working for me today, so I attached a link to this kitchen. It's the fourth picture down and I really like the way the wood warms up the black and white...even though it's more classic than modern.

I'll try to post more pictures, when I'm able to get back on Photobucket :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We have considered grey cabinets, but it doesn't quite give us the constrast we're looking for. We haven't of course exed it out completely (part of our problem).

We have seen the kitchens they were suggested. Though quite nice, just not what we were looking for. Coastal moderns kitchen is the closest. The more though I looked at it though, I was concerned how dark it would be at night.

We will likely go with a wood floors(but alas that hasn't been decided either). We have a very open concept, so what the floor in the kitchen is, it will be almost throughout the entire house. So too dark it out.

The open concept for the kitchen though makes it necessary for it to blend in with the contemporary house. I like modern, but it can't be over the top.

Kitchenaddict, your second pic was intriguing to me. It was very bright, but with the black as accents instead of large amounts of cabinetary. Something I haven't noticed before in a kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coastal moderns kitchen

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Consider a bold Black and White or Black and Brown print fabric at windows and stools or chair seats. Also consider more bold high-contrast stuff in trimmings--B&W checkerboard or striped ceramics (or just black, matte or shiny), black trim on light fixtures (if you can sacrifice the chrome), perhaps black bezels around recessed ceiling lights or black cords on pendants, black accent rug or Gel Mat, perhaps black and chrome clock. You may find yourself adding a gray-brown or light gray or fern green or celery green or near-turquoise. I'd avoid yellow-brown or mustards or red-browns or orange as accent colors if you want to avoid adding more warm tones.

You can also add a multi-wood butcherblock somewhere, with strong contrasts and as little golden colors as possible. This is expensive but very classy. Oh, and do you remember the inexpensive (Ikea?) wooden countertop that was stained with India ink? Someone will probably be able to find that thread. Extremely dramatic with the white cabs and I think a wooden floor.

The Ikea idea is a good one. I think there's one of the cab styles that is a warm yellow brown and the cab doors run the grain left-right instead up-down. Gives a very midcentury Danish Modern vibe. Almost seemed like teak when we were cabinet shopping two yrs ago. If you go this route and still want the high-contrast feeling in the room, don't add other items that have a warmth--be almost clinical in dedication to a different feeling. The wood is all the warmth you will need.

Adding wood to a high contrast color scheme adds warmth automatically. Adding chrome adds shine and either higher status OR stand-offishness, depending on what the items are and how the chrome works out. We went with chrome on pendants and hardware in our unstained oak kitchen and the sparkle helped counteract the overcoziness that might have developed. They twinkle with reflected light but also add contrast and texture.

Is there a non-Ikea Scandinavian furniture store near you? If can visit one, get a feeling for the vibe that the wooden pieces give off. Often these showrooms are surprisingly relaxing and comforting and the lines of the pieces and the grains are really interesting to look at. Very sensual. Many are paired either with earthy stuff (ceramics, rugs, suede) or with severe metal (usually chrome) and smooth leather and flat matte blacks. Then ask self, "does it work for you or is it too wood-y?"

There is a good pair of interesting knob and bin pull items with black wrought iron behind medium wood (Oak?) parts on another thread right now. One way to add black drama to cabs without paint.

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. The biggest problem though we are having is deciding on something besides the modern theme. We will get either the squared doors or metal doors. I forgot to mention, that we do gravitate towards light/white countertops, so to get the contrast we have to go with something other then white cabinets. We also like the farm house SS single bowl sink. From there we start going in circles over and over.

So many things look good. It's picking something, and sticking with it. It's as if there are too many choices out there. It's funny when I've purchased a house, I'm in there a few minutes and I'm like bam, this is the house. It's all these details that trips me up.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Aloha- I'm not really a modern kitchen kind of gal, but I think this one is pretty. If you want to add black, you could have the stools black leather...or the base of the island could be black. I think it's a stainless steel sink, too :)

{{!gwi}}

Too much? I like the white sofa with the gray or black wall. If it would be too dark, maybe just one wall, with great lighting?

{{!gwi}}

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    12 years ago

I think you could easily adapt Ikea cabinets for Coastal Modern's look, especially with something like Nexus doors (black-brown wood), Abstrakt gray (high gloss gray), or dark cabs on bottom with Abstrakt white on top. CML's kitchen is dark brown (wood) with turquoise accents. Do you have an idea for an accent color? In that kitchen, I think it's the accents and staging that really make everything "pop". Do you have a favorite color you'd like to use, any special dishes or accents to highlight in the shelving, upper cabs, etc.?

To lighten it up, try glass in some of the upper cabs. But I would suggest you post a picture of your kitchen plan so the layout types here can see what you have for windows and natural light. The other suggestion is that if you live in a larger urban center, hire a lighting designer for a good lighting plan. Then you won't have to worry about a dark kitchen.

As far as contrast, and your fondness for light colored countertops, what about a dark/wood base for the island with a white "waterfall" on top, like some of the ones here,

http://cottagemodern.blogspot.com/2011/02/chasing-waterfalls.html

If you go with something like that, and light/white countertops throughout the kitchen, I think that will automatically lighten the space.

Finally, if you're overwhelmed with choices, give yourself only two for each item and pick one of them. If neither of you has that much of a preference, keep things fairly simple and inexpensive so that when you do find you have a preference -- for example, for hardware, etc. you can change things without too much fuss or expense.

Becky

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I've been where you are only it was about my new masterbath. It's hard choosing when so many different elements appeal to you. You feel pressured to make THE right decision because, if you're like me, this will be the only chance you'll ever get to do this. Deciding what is ME oddly enough is hard.

Do you have to decide this weekend or this week? Or even this month? Maybe you're trying too hard now. You may need some time to let ideas vegetate in the back of your brain rather than cogitate like you're doing now. Give yourself a break. That helped me with my bathroom.

• muskokascp
    12 years ago

It's hard isn't it!!?? I can pick oodles of kitchens I love and they will all be different. I am drawn to the timeless white kitchens but the clean lines of a modern kitchen. It's enough to drive one crazy and second guess over and over. We are incorporating elements of both for (I hope) a blending of contemporary and traditional/transitional. We have lots of large windows with no molding around them, dark hardwood floors and white shaker cabinets in a semigloss finish. There are very few upper cabinets. The counter will be honed marble. The island will be white but with a grey counter for contrast - soapstone? We have a 10' serving area that will be slab drawers in a high gloss grey finish lending the modern touch to the space. And it's the other finishes like the sink , backsplash and faucets that can set the style of the kitchen. I don't want a super shine to the kitchen so it's getting toned down with honed counters.

Is there a way to incorporate some of the elements you love in both a light and wood kitchen?

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Several of you have spoken about IKEA and when they open their first store here in July, I'll likely go on the first day. I'm hoping they run a special on a complete kitchen. This is one of the reasons (I have many) for wanting to firm up some of these choices so I can be ready to purchase.

Florantha, I too like turquoise. I've thought of using it throughout the house, so it's definately a strong contender (again no absolutes).

I've included my plan as several of you requested. IF I go black, I was going to do the pantry/frig wall in black. The window wall, I've gone around in circles on, with a ton of options. Many look acceptable but none enough to make a decision. As I said before though, wood is intriguing too. To the right of the kitchen is a octogon dinette with a ton of windows, and a great room is at the bottom of the kitchen, again with a wall of windows. The kitchen window will face West (yes window coverings will be installled). Though most of the windows are to the North, the area is very bright (but that is what we want to keep).

Breezy, you are probably right. We purchased a house that needs EVERYTHING. The constant decisions are really getting to me. Though we aren't planning to start demolition till the fall, we want to have everything decided and in place as much as possible. At the rate, we are going though, I'm concerned. We're starting again on the outside landscaping, but again more decision. The planting are realitively inexpensive. If a "mistake" is made worst case scenerio it can be dug up, but more likely can be used somewhere else. But I too think, I've got to live with this decision what seems like forever and I don't want to have to settle when I could have done better...it's my perfectionism that is a real cross I have to bear at times. I have put the kitchen aside for a week or two, but when I return it doesn't seem much better. Like I said before, I've seen so much, that there is little more to look at....it's decision time.

Musk, your kitchen sounds like it has a lot of the same attributes as mine.

I'm beginning to see that even in this thread, I just go around in circles. I think with so many choices, my perfectionism, and having to make so many decisions, I'm in a stalemate.

• kaismom
    12 years ago

aloha2009,
    some of the best examples of modern kitchens are from Europe.

I suggest that you look at European magazines and websites. Many of these companies do amazing things to medium wood tone cabinets. In order to use medium woodtones, you need to pay WAY more than dark stained cabinets. Dark stained cabinets can use much cheaper veneer because the grains do not have to be that "perfect". Most modern companies use rift cut oak veneer for dark stained cabinets because the grains are uniform and the cost is much cheaper than other veneers that can cost significantly more, walnut, anigre, wenge etc. I believe Ikea uses rift cut oak for their dark stained cabinets.

here are some places to peruse for medium toned wood.
    hansens of Denmark
    henrybuilt, one of my favorite, since I bought their stuff.
    Neff from Cananda
    Downsview is an American company.
    Smallbones of Devize
    lots of Italian companies: Alno, Snaidero, Pedini, Verona are more famous and common ones.
    German companies: Bulthaup, Leicht kitchens, Poliform, Poggenpohl.

If you love dark cabints, go for it. They can be fabulous.

• caryscott
    12 years ago

Downsview manufactures out of Canada, wouldn't be the first American owned company with a Canadian manufacturing base but I think it is Canadian owned. I think ALNO is German. Good list. Try Siematic as well they do quite dark exotic veneers.

• BlueKitten
    12 years ago

Aloha, I don't have any great advice, but I wanted to tell you -- you're not alone! I also have decision paralysis, also stemming from my perfectionist nature. I feel your pain!

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Since we're looking into IKEA cabinets, I don't think the cost of the different tones of wood will be an issue.

I've looked at several European websites. My problem hasn't been lack of examples but ultimately making the decision from the seemingly endless sea of choices.

• coastal_modern_love
    12 years ago

Aloha- if I were to do it over I would change my wall or island to white or pale gray. Not because it's too dark, but I feel like we overdid it on the wenge. And definitly natural stone. The quartz look is not what I like now. I'd prefer the more organic wave of Calacatta. (yum!) Our styles and likes will change. It's just a matter of accepting what you love now and going with it. Do the island all white (top and surrround) and it will give brightness to the center of the room. I love how our kitchen looks at night though. It has a certain depth and warm feeling even though it is modern. And I collect Metropolitan Home mags. Most of my inspirations came from there!

• coastal_modern_love
    12 years ago

Here are some pics from boxer on another thread. I am in LOVE with the gray Blossom Interiors one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boxers pics

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Coastal I am confused by what you meant by the "wall" and "wenge" and "surround" regarding the counter.

Do you have any night pics. I would be concerned with the black cabinets, and the large black window at night, that it would get pretty dark.

Thanks for the tip about Metropolitan Home. I'll get some from the library next time I'm there.

• coastal_modern_love
    12 years ago

Wenge is name of the dark brown stain (pronounced vengay like Renee). It is a standard name used by furniture companies also. By surround I mean your island top and base cabinets in the island. And my wall is my wall of cabinets where the fridge is.
    Wow sorry!

• davidro1
    12 years ago

aloha2009 remember the rule of relative shabbiness. If you renovate too well, the adjacent spaces now look inadequate. If you renovate to match the adjacent areas, you get to feel it's more consistent. This helps you to choose the look you will go for. How much black / contrast / flash / glam or subdued look etc.

• malhgold
    12 years ago

I can completely relate to the inability to make a decision. It took me about 2 years on this site to finalize my plans. I have what I would consider a modern kitchen. I mixed black, gray and rift cut oak cabs. The kitchen is in the center of the house and I wanted it to feel more like a "mix of furniture" than a "kitchen".

Based on your layout, I don't think your kitchen will be too dark with black cabs(or dark cabs), if that's what you decide to do. You could always do glass fronts in the upper cabs. Also, you could do your frig/pantry wall with drywall, instead of cabinetry, which could help lighten things up. Have you considered any open shelving in lieu of some of the upper cabs? I know it's not for everyone, but I am happy with ours.

Just one word of caution on the black cabs. They do show EVERY fingerprint and dust mark. Fortunately for me, I can only see the marks at certain times of the day depending on how the light is hitting. I am VERY glad my pantry wall is not black. Something to think about.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Aloha, if you feel up to it, it might be very helpful for folks to see a few pictures of other areas in your house and how you've designed them. Perhaps that way we can help you pinpoint colors/textures that will fit in graciously rather than jarringly? If you like a zillion different styles, I'd suggest that cohesion with your other decor might be the best ultimate standard to go by.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Aloha- Here's a link that Corrie had on the Conversations side. She's getting the really cool 3-D sink at the bottom, but scroll through these cabinets! Is this the type of thing you're looking for? Hope this helps :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Toyo Kitchens

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Aloha,

I agree with circuspeanut, seeing other rooms in your home
    can help discovering what works for you and guide you in
    your dream.

Meanwhile, here are a few visual suggestions. I hate do
    this is as it might just complicate your process.
    Forgive me, I can't help giving visual ideas.

~boxer

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Coastal for the clarification. Though I'm still enamored by your kitchen, it's enlighting about some of your thoughts. When you talked about maybe wanting something possibly different with your countertops, though I love your quartz, I was wondering if I would grow tired of the simplicity. Some indecision there but closer then most things.

Davidrol, I so know what you mean!

In this case it's a bit different, since we already know we are changing EVERYTHING inside and outside of the house (furniture included). For that reason, we don't want to make the kitchen so modern that it sticks out like a sore thumb. I think that was one of the key attributes that I loved about coastal moderns kitchen. It was modern but gave a welcoming feeling.

LavendarLass, those cabinets were just a bit too modern for us, but the openess is something we are trying to mimic. Awesome sink.

Boxerpups, don't worry. You can't confuse me anymore then we already are.

I've been sharing this thread with my DH and discussing our options. He pointed out that since we are more then likely (again no absolute decision) to go with a wood flooring, having wood cabinets wouldn't give us the constrast.

Having glass uppers would seem best, but we are VERY, VERY concerned about what the items we would prefer storing in there. Besides dinnerware and glassware, we'd prefer to put items for baking, mismatched pitchers, etc. If we were willing (and we might be) to store those "ugly" items into the pantry, this would open up options. In this case though, I think it would be options that we could use.

As I'm reflecting with all of this outpouring of help, I'm starting to feel a movement and direction out of the circle.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!