SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hankshanker

Garage door opener behaving badly

hankshanker
17 years ago

I have your typical ten-year-old 1/2 hp Sears garage door opener. Several months ago it began randomly failing to operate. Sometimes the door would partially open, but more often the motor and lights would be totally unresponsive for days or weeks. Suddenly the system would operate normally for a few days, followed again by another stretch of deadness. I eventually became accustomed to getting out of the car and opening that dang door myself.

The problem seems to have something to do with the receiving safety sensor, as indicated by its unlit green light. Until recemtly, if I unplugged the power cord and plugged it back in, I would hear a "click" from the housing, the dead sensor light would light up, and all would operate perfectly for an hour or two.

Now, however, if that sensor light does decide to light up, it will within several seconds slowly fade out as if power is draining away. The sending sensor will shine steadily, as will the lightbulbs. The trolley may or may not move when asked to, depending on its mood.

I have good reason to believe the system is mechanically sound. What would cause this electrical failure and how do I fix it? Should I try replacing the capacitor?

Comments (2)