SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beckkl

Can someone critique my plan for revamping my insulation?

beckkl
16 years ago

I live in a 1920's bungalow that had 3/4 the attic finished off. We are now finishing the the last 1/4, and since I'm going through the process of insulating that room, I thought I would take a look at fixing some other insulation issues. First and formost I should mention that the finished space in the attic house is HOT AS HELL in the summer. So bad that my wifes makup turned to goo in the bathroom. That can't be good I'm thinking...

Here is the current setup:

The floor of the entire attic has some loose rock wool in it. It is covered with some sort of ship-lap or tongue and groove flooring (and carpet in the finished room).

The finished part is completely wrapped in old Balsam wool insulation. The knee walls, the ceiling and the angled rafter part of the ceiling all have this. There is a dormer-type room off to the side that has vermiculite over it.... Not sure what the walls are there. I have no plans on messing with that stuff.

In the knee wall area, the rafters have some more balsam wool. It is old and quite saggy.

Some time ago, someone probably thought it would be a good idea to put in some soffit vents. They put in maybe 6 or so of these, each about 6x12". However, they failed to open up the soffit cavity to vent to the roof. It is still covered with some old cedar boards between the rafters. I've tried to open these up where I could.

Here is my plan:

1.) Pull out all the cedar boards blocking the soffit cavity from the rest of the attic

2.) In the unfinished room: Put in rafter vents, followed by R38 unfaced from the soffits to the new ceiling I put in. Cover with a vapor barrier, followed but some thin rigid insulation.

3.) In the existing knee-wall storage area: Rip out the exposed exisiting Balsam Wool going from the soffit area to the top of the knee wall. Shove a bunch of rafter vents up through the existing sloped ceiling area. Put in some more R38 from the soffits to the kneewall, and cover with vapor barrier and rigid insulation. Then cover with Hardboard (If I have to.)

4.) Existing knee walls: Since I'm beefing up the rafters in these small knee room areas, I was thinking of leaving the 1" balsam wool there, and just covering/sealing them with more rigid insulation. I've heard that sometimes people just rip this stuff out, but I'm not sure that it is still best-practice to do that.

5.) Once this is all finsihed I'll blow in insulation in the ceiling, and into the cavitys of the sloped rafter ceiling in the already-finished area. I'll blow in on top of the balsam wool already there, and around the newly installed rafter vents.

Does anyone see an issue with this, or am I way off? I'm having trouble getting an answer from the cellulose guy... his knowledge seems to be dated a bit when it comes to these old homes....

Regards,

Kyle

Comments (6)