SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cloud_swift

What's up with modern in hotel rooms?

Cloud Swift
10 years ago

I recently stayed in a Radisson Blu in Shanghai and now I'm in the Intercontinental City Center in Tel Aviv. Both have hotel rooms decorated in modern. (Purhaps modern decor is part of the the Radisson Blu brand? It's the first time I stayed in one.)

I like some modern, but not particularly the mostly white and black with jarring splashes of lime green and orange variety.

I've occasionally stayed in some more budget hotels like Avatar that use the bright splashes and otherwise fairly austere version of modern, but in their case I assume that it helps create an acceptable room at an acceptable cost.

The Radisson Blu was not anywhere close to a budget hotel. The room was large and comfortable but way too visually austere. It was mostly white and pretty boring with just a splash here and there of annoying color.

The Intercontinental that I'm in isn't quite as austere, but it doesn't seem at all pulled together. The "headboard" behind the bed is a featureless shiny lime green glass panel for about 2/3 of the way where it switches to shiny black. Most of the furniture is plain black rectangles (a black thich shelf sticking out from either side of the headboard for night stands. Another thick rectangle on metal legs about 6' long for a TV stand with one drawer in the middle about a third of the width. An upright black rectangle attached to the wall supporting the end of a glass "desk" (that they didn't choose to provide a light for so it is in shadow and useless during the evening. One black floor lamp with a shiny opaque black shade and a matching black table lamp on the TV console.An upholstery covered bench next to the bed and bed base that doesn't seem to tie into anything else and a small rug under it that doesn't go with it or anything else in the room.

There is also an orange sort of comfortable modern style chair, but without any arms - just a big curved shape. and a glass and metal low table. That's where I'm using my laptop because the desk was too dark.

For artwork, there is a monotone two black trees on a grey background (the trees are less than a foot high on a canvas about 4 foot high so it is mainly a grey rectangle) and another piece that is a dark wall for about 5/6 its width and looking through a doorway into a Japanese room with an orangish red floor for the other 1/6.

I'm not sure if it is more depressing at night with the black lamps casting their small circles of illumination on the floor and ceiling or during the day when I can see the discontinuities and the lime green better.

Sigh! I kind of expected it from the Radisson Blu because the logo hinted at modern. I didn't expect it from Intercontinental - the other ones I've stayed at have been nice. And the Raddison Blu was at least functional and comfortable even if it was visually kind of dull. The poor lighting and the lime green annoy me here.

Comments (16)