SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
namaste_gw

Help on using machine feet

namaste
18 years ago

My husband bought me every foot that is made for Janome for X-mas. However, there were no instructions with any of them except the walking foot. I don't even know what is what! I have read pages of messages on this forum, searched the web for lessons, searched the forum on Janome, and am at a loss. I know some of these feet would help make life easier or they wouldn't make them. :) Obviously I am fairly new to sewing. Took the home ec class (which was over 30 years ago!), got a desire to start sewing, and have made several things that turned out pretty good. As I have read in several posts, my seam ripper is my friend, I would kill anyone if they tried to use my good scissors, a good light is awful important, patterns are not made in the same size as what you buy in the store, and they do not just fit automatically - sometimes you have to adjust (my body is nowhere near any perfect size!!!!

I take care of my 2-1/2 year old granddaughter during the days and so it is impossible for me to take a class outside of the home. When looking up sewing lessons, they teach you how to sew, not specifically how to use the different feet available.

I purchased a book on fabric "Fabric Savey" that tells all about the different fabrics and whether they need pre-washed, what type of needles to use, what type of stich works best, etc. Pretty handy (the first pair of pants I made are now capri's cause I didn't pre-wash my fabric!!!) :) :) I am a live and learn type of person - plow right in... However, I am afraid to try that with all of these feet. The only foot I have tried is the walking foot and it works great with knits. At least it did on the first piece I made using it. I am fighting it now - it keeps eating the material and the stitching is all balled up. I have shortened the stitch, lightened the pressure, tried different zigzag stitches. The only thing I know left to try on that is make sure I have a needle in for knits.

Anyway, I finally gave up and searched for a forum that had sewing experts I could ask. As you can see, I NEED HELP! I have tons of material (somehow I can't stop buying more material - this is addicting)that I need to sew. I would have a wonderful wardrobe if I can beat this knowledge thing. Please help.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider