SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

New Construction and New Furniture Placement.

palimpsest
11 years ago

I regularly grouse about the problem of furniture placement in great rooms and other "public" spaces of new construction houses, no wall space, lots of doors and windows, etc.

But now I have started to really notice the disconnect between the configurations of modern bedrooms and new bedroom furniture.

I have noticed in older construction--probably through the 1970s that bedroom window sill height tends to be about 30-31.

Older bedroom furniture tends to have a table height to it of about 30, with some pieces being slightly lower and only tall pieces being taller, and they tend to have a relatively small footprint. There is also a modularity to the pieces.

So furniture, such as a dresser and small desk, could be lined up on the window wall and the bed went on its wall.

Newer bedrooms often have window sill height of 24" or lower. The furniture has gotten taller and larger, and it has lost some of its modularity so pieces can't really be placed next to each other because they are not the same height, or sometimes depth. (Pottery Barn still does modular kids stuff).

So, in the new typical bedroom there is one wall that the bed has to go on, almost no furniture can go on the window wall, and with the shift away from bifold doors on closets, the doorswings are an issue. Then with the shift to queen sized beds from full, the issue compounds itself.

I helped someone furnish a largish new construction house and one of the bedrooms had room for a queen sized bed and One reasonable night table, Not two, and a smallish dresser.

Another bedroom was bigger but furniture lapped the windows no matter what you did, unless maybe used a twin bed.

Comments (9)