SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_slamm

construction of insulated roman blinds

agmss15
12 years ago

Hi - I have been making some insulated roman blinds for my house. I am using quilted 'warm window fabri'c. The blinds are amazingly effective. I put the first one up in my bathroom about a month ago. The temps outside the next day at about noon was 14F - inside was 60-65F - between the shade and the window was 6F. Anyway I am having a problem figuring out how to keep the face fabric hanging smoothly on the backing.. First I sew the face fabric and the quilted fabric together right sides together - the turn inside out. I hem the top and bottom. Attach the velcro. I iron on low carefully - the face fabric seems to look nice and flush w/o looking taut. Then I have to sew on the rings - it seems to me when I do this I make the face fabric lie unevenly. I have tried to pin baste the layers together but that doesn't seem to make much difference. I think I really should baste all the layers together. However since there are two layers of mylar in the quilted fabric I want to puncture it as little as possible. Or should I stretch the blinds and handstitch the rings. I love that my new machine will sew on the rings, tie off and cut the thread. The final product isn't awful - just not quite right. They look fine pulled up but not so great down. Any ideas on how to keep the fabrics in place while I attach the rings?

Comments (7)