SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
61tinkerbell

Don't Like my new $$$$ Kitchen Table!!!

tinker_2006
15 years ago

I received my new bar stools (LOVE THEM) and table set yesterday. I am not loving the table set. I really like the chairs, they are nice, but the table is too small and too low and I don't care for it as much as I liked my OLD set.

First, I remind you that we built this house and just moved in 6 weeks ago. I ordered the table set 5 months ago but the whole house has been evolving differently then I first thought/planned.

Anyway, I had my "old" which is only a couple years old in the kitchen. The table top is 48" and would be better at 54 (I can order a new 54" top). I thought it wouldn't "fit" with the new house, but once we moved it - I was surprised I liked it... but new table was already on order. It is light in color with helps our very dark house, it matches the kitchen island and went great with the shutters.

Here is the old - only picture I really have!

{{!gwi}}

The new: They made the table 47" and only 29" high! It looks small and squatty and too dark for the space. I am thinking of keeping the old, and selling the new. I think the old looks fine with the bar stools too.

HELP!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Barstools

{{!gwi}}

Comments (77)

• stinky-gardener
    15 years ago

To me, the new set does not say "country" it says "sophisticated casual." The rush seats bring in a bit of an earthy element, adding a hint of rustic warmth & character. Would be interesting to see table w/leaf.

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

The set is gorgeous. I think the chairs are stunning. I would order a new 54" table top.

Maybe you could find a wrougth iron base for the snaller top and use it as a game table in the family room or a coffee table top.

Again gorgeous kitchen and kitchwen set.

Joann

• Related Discussions

Wow - I don't like my new Kindle!

Q

Comments (28)
    roarah - thanks for that link - interesting perspective. I also read another article about B&N transformation. It's a fascinating dilemma when a company has to cannibalize itself to survive - e-readers vs. print, printed checks vs. debit card, CDs vs. iTunes, etc. I'm actually part of a company that has been going through this. I work for what was a technology start-up that got acquired by a 100+ year old publisher. It's fascinating to be in the middle of the transformation.
    ...See More

Help, I don't like my new granite

Q

Comments (27)
    I agree with others that a different paint color would help. If you're going to put in a backsplash, get rid of the 4" tall one of granite that's there and put in one that goes from th counter clear up to the cabinets. Then the granite color/pattern won't be so much "in your face". We re-did a kitchen in a rental condo and and the guy who put in the granite installed a 4" backsplash. We hated it on first sight, and I think it was because the granite pattern became overwhelming for the space. We ripped it out immediately and installed a tile 6" high backsplash with a mosaic border on top. We didn't want to do tile all the way up to the cabinets. I apologize for my less than stellar mock up skills, but it may give you an idea.
    ...See More

Don't like my mom's new husband

Q

Comments (10)
    "...He goes on and on...." You are in control. "oops, that's my oven timer. Gotta go!" and hang up. Nothing wrong with answering the phone, but you are under no obligation to stay on the phone. ..."he's out of control" YEAH....NOT GOING TO HIS HOUSE FOR THE HOLIDAYS!!!! We all have a "crazy uncle frank" who drinks too much or a "slutty aunt sylvia", but the thing is, they're actually related to us. And mostly, they're harmless. The thing is, you don't know if he is or not. Do you want to find out? Holidays are laden with obligations. The thing is, when we are adults, we are not obligated to do ANYTHING we don't want to do in this regard. Your mother is old enough to make her own choices. If that choice is to "laugh off" your concerns, I'd say you have the choice to "blow her off" and say it's an immediate family only holiday for you. I don't trust him. He is not a decent man. Your husband knows it. Listen to him.
    ...See More

I don't like my new kitchen floors and the transition to family room

Q

Comments (88)
    I totally feel your pain! Remodels aren't cheap and it's not easy for everyone to picture what something will look like before its done. I had a similar situation - I just didn't feel that I could afford to redo the tile in the entire house - so I only did part of it. Huge mistake. I "solved" the problem with carpet squares. You can buy just what you need, get pretty creative and install them yourself. I'm sure there are many companies, I used Flor. I recommend getting samples - as it's impossible to accurately assess color from the computer monitor. (Samples are free during promotions and sales are frequent.) I would also suggest that moving the sofa to face away from the kitchen will not only cover up some of the transition, but also define the space in a way to enhance the separation of the rooms.
    ...See More
  • bodiCA
    15 years ago

Tinker, your dark cabinets, glass doors, sleek cooktop and light fixtures all look fabulous with your new barstools and chairs, and with the leaf in, bet the table will be perfect too. What a Beautiful room! If you miss the white, maybe a white lace table cloth would please you?

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again everyone. Here are some pic's with the leaf in it. Maybe that does help... (but we play cards on Friday's and round is best):)
    What do you think?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• anele_gw
    15 years ago

Both sets are great, but I like the new for the new kitchen. How about some vintage linens on it?

• trielders
    15 years ago

I vote for the new table - gorgeous! How many people do you have regularly dining on it?

• User
    15 years ago

I much prefer the old set! In the kitchen you have a wood finish on the cabinets and the white painted island, which I think balances out the wood barstools with the white table and chairs very nicely. I actually don't like barstools and the table and chairs to all "match," as that looks like you purchased a set on display at a furniture store.

The new table is really too small and much too low; my husband and son would never even be able to fit under it at 29", and it puts you too low to enjoy the view out the window. The view from the family room towards the kitchen is all wood, wood, and more wood... the white table and chairs would liven it up and does not look "country" but rather "farmhouse," which is what your new stuff looks like also.

The furniture store would probably take back the new set with a restocking fee, and I would order the larger table for your existing (old) base. In the end you will spend much less money than keeping the new table that is really too low and dark, imo.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

That is Fabulous!!!!!

• funkyart
    15 years ago

I feel your pain, Tinker. If it makes you feel any better, I have a $4000+ sofa custom sofa that isn't comfortable, a $1400 oversized chest in my living room because it wouldn't fit up the stairs and a $2500 bed that I can't seem to decorate around.

All that said, I think your new table is gorgeous and perfectly fits with the rest of your home. A few inches larger and an inch higher would have been great but I don't think it is worth spending more money -- unless you can't all sit comfortably and eat or play cards.

I think it has a provincial country look to it-- where your old set was more american country.

I definitely think a rug would help define the area.. WT too if you were planning to put panels in there as well. A part of me thinks another piece of furniture would look nice but honestly, I think the rug and WT (if in the plan) will be enough.

Your home is really pulling together-- it is giving me hope (and envy haha)!

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

The old set is nice, but just doesn't go with the warm woods and the sophisticated feel of your new house.

I much prefer the table with the leaf, it really looks nice with the chairs spread out a tad. I wouldn't go to the expense of changing out the top. If the oval table is too long to play cards at comfortably, I'd remove the leaf on Fridays!

I think the white is way too stark against your floors/walls and kitchen cabinets. Just my opinion of course! Although the table looks lower than the original, generally the table and chairs are designed to go together. When you sit at the table is it uncomfortable? If it is, then I'd see if they would exchange it, if not, then I'd keep it. It's very pretty and I think it looks great in the room. Maybe add a centerpiece and if you have room a rug underneath.

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Hmmm. Let's see. . . Perfect? Gorgeous? Either one will do. :)

• kats
    15 years ago

As I said before I liked the new one (that you first posted) better than the white. Now with the extra leaf in it I like it even more. Looks more substantial. Fits better....IMHO. And I don't think it looks weird being oval at all.

I see you put fruit as a table decoration. Just to give you an idea of another option you might take your orchids from your coffee table and put on the new table if only to see what color might bring to the room.

• mjlb
    15 years ago

KSWL: "The furniture store would probably take back the new set with a restocking fee". What a great idea -- I'd love to know if that would work. I assume it matters that you have only had the set for a short period of time.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

farmhouse.. I don't want that look for this house (great in my last - which is why I have the 2 tone table) :( and that was why I ordered a new table for this house... to move away from the farmhouse look.

provincial country.. with a bit of elegance WAS what I first set out to do... not sure what style my living room is at this point!

Gosh, I value ALL your opinions and thoughts! It helps me sort out my own mind!

I do like the set (should - since I ordered it) but it just looks different then I imagined!

trielders, just 3 or 4 of us dine there.

funkyart, misery loves company! I also have a desk that I ordered and don't love... sigh... but as you know - when you custom order something - there is no returns!

caroleoh, no - it's not really uncomfortable and feels right sitting at it.

OS, :) thank you. Your words help! (really - they do!)

kats, looks like I have more work to do.. looking for centerpiece and now a rug! But first - I still have to try a new drapery rod! ugghhhh

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mjlb, no - it was custom ordered - no returns. It's not a floor model, otherwise I do think that they would take it back.

• texanjana
    15 years ago

More redundancy: I prefer the new set. I really like it better with the leaf in it. A rug underneath will really define the space.

Your kitchen is gorgeous!

• stinky-gardener
    15 years ago

Wow, Tinker! It looks fabulous! Don't you just love it? Look at how it merges not only w/your kitchen elements, but from the living room it is simply fantastic as well. Everything is so harmonious--color, style, mood. Pat yourself on the back...a better selection could not have been made... was $$ very well spent!

• User
    15 years ago

A friend ordered an entire dining room of furniture through a local store to go in the house they were buying; it was ordered from the mfg in North Carolina and she waited about 8 weeks for it. The closing fell through on the house (title search problem) just as the furniture arrived. It was returned to the store and to the mfg by paying a 25% restocking fee, which amounted to several thousand dollars. It does cost to do this, but sometimes it can't be avoided. That's obviously not the case here, and you may just need more time to get used to the new look. The chairs of both sets look very much alike, though!

• phoggie
    15 years ago

Tinker~~
    Another vote for the new set....and with the leaf in. That really helps fill in the space more nicely. And I agree with some of the others, that white set really said, "country" and you new home is so classy that you need a beautiful table and chairs. If the table is too low, you can have some built-up put on the bottom of the legs....had to do that once to mine...worked fine. Don't worry so much about playing cards at an oval table....that will be fine also.
    good luck in decorating your new home....you do such a geat job...always read your posts~~~

• kraftdee
    15 years ago

This isn't my style since I'm modern minimalist but I do like your table, either round or oval is fine, in that room. The only input, keeping in mind my style is different:
    1) the first picture you show is dark and maybe angled to look like the chairs are a little cramped. I would just pull the chairs out even just a 1/2 inch --though the photo might just show a bad angle.
    2)the embellish design on the chair, lighting, and the art on the window wall are pronounced (to me), I would go with a light simple (not a strong print) rug underneath, if you did add a rug.
    3) also, with the table top centerpiece, the fruit is nice maybe the bowl should be bigger. Maybe just add a little light color to the bowl to bring in the nice wall color (love the color by the way).
    That's my 2 cents. I usually don't involve myself since I don't know much about decor but for fun I thought I would this time.

• wascolette
    15 years ago

Absoluely love the new set! Keep the leaf in for everyday use, and then on Friday nights, take the leaf out for card games.

May I ask where you bought the table? I especially love the chairs.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks kraftdee, I appreciate your input!

phoggie, ((hugs)) thanks

I was able to make the table a good inch higher - it has adjustable feet (those leveling things).

kswl, I totally agree about the chairs being very similar. The white are plainer where these are carved.

{{!gwi}}

different centerpiece (had in cabinet)

{{!gwi}}

where is Les!? I want her input too. And Les, when you read this I forgot to ask - what exactly about the new lamp did you not like, color, size, style... ?

Rug: oval , sq, rect??

• kats
    15 years ago

You were able to extend the height of the table by 1 inch. If that's not enough here's another thought....

You might buy something like Van Dykes table leg extensions to make your table legs taller. I can't see the legs in your pictures but I think the Lawson legs look like they might work nicely. But, you could use any style at the height sold or cut them down in size to the height you need (2 inches--4 inches-- what ever). Then stain and finish to match your table. Screw them on to your table legs and no one would know they were an addition.

Van Dykes table legs

• jmck_nc
    15 years ago

Butting in here...read this forum all the time for fabulous ideas but never post...'til now. What about the oval table on a diagonal? I am personally a big fan of furniture that is not lined up...love to see things at different angles. Lovely home. Back to lurkdom....
    Judy

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Love your new set and it looks great with the extension.

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

Oh , I love the new table with the leaf in it. I would leave it like that all the time and if it is too big for playing cards just remove it for that time. Your home is lovely.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I love the new table and with the added 1" height, I think it looks great. It just needs a lighter rug underneath to define the space I feel. It is a rich beautiful table that goes very well in your kitchen.

When I moved into my townhouse I bought an expensive Ethan Allen dining room set for my kitchen that I fell in love with and had to have(since my dining room and living room were made into a home office). I had to wait a few months before it was delivered. When it finally came I felt the table was too big and the Wheatback chairs were too much for my kitchen. After a few months passed, I knew it was the right choice and it is beautiful. I would give it time, raise the table up a little more if you can (for me, I am very petite so I was wishing my table was 1" lower), and maybe get a beautiful rug to put under the table.

• bac717
    15 years ago

I really like the new table as an oval. It's perfect for the space. As far as the height issue, I am wondering a few things. First of all, how does the height of the new table compare to the old table? I suppose even a one inch difference could be noticeable. How about the chairs? What's the seating height difference between the old and the new? It the new are higher, the table will seem lower. And what about the apron on the new table? If it's longer, you'll have less seating clearance. Just a few thoughts.

In the first picture you posted today, I noticed the canister set on your kitchen counter. Would you mind sharing with me where you purchased it? I think it would be perfect in my kitchen. Thanks so much.

• susanilz5
    15 years ago

Congratulations on your beautiful home. I really like the new set. It looks warm and classy in your space. Live with it awhile. Your just used to the look of the old set.

• phoggie
    15 years ago

Tinker, I need to be headed for bed, but first I had to check in to see how your new dilemma was doing. Just think, now you get to shop for a rug, curtains, and center piece......and of course, some will be "returned" LOL Seriously though, I love your style...you can come decorate for me anytime~~~~

• blondiel
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, tinker. Your entire area is coming together nicely, very well coordinated. I am no expert at rugs, but a rectangular rug would look nice for your round and oval size table. Your new table,chairs and bar stools are beautiful. Although the oval table is nice, a larger round table may be better. You have invested $$$$ in your furniture. I am sure that you plan to keep it for a while.
    If you really want a bigger round table, it may be worth the cost. You should be able to work out something with the seller. Just my two cents worth.

• les917
    15 years ago

I think part of the problem with the color of the new set is that it kind of disappears on the wood floor. Look for a rug with a lighter field color so it creates some separation and it will make a world of difference, imo. If you are game, just for the moment, take the rug from the family room and put it under there - I think you will see what I mean.

Rectangular rug, not an oval, for that space. You have enough curves in the chairs and table that you can use some straighter lines for balance.

I would look for a wonderful pewter compote to use on the table to pull out the cabinet handles in the kitchen. Fill with faux artichokes or pomegranates for a more sophisticated take on the fruit bowl look. Maybe something like this:

pewter compote

Or do a pewter or brushed aluminum platter or tray with a grouping of various height pillar candles.

As for the lamp, the shape was too fussy for the space, imo, and fought with all the curves in the table. Shade didn't really feel like it belongs, either. I kind of like this one because it feels like it works with the curves of the table, plus it echoes the pattern on the pillows that are on the chairs. Kind of expensive, tho.

murray feiss verdun lattice lamp

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Beautiful choices, les!!!

• black-thumb
    15 years ago

I like the old set better. I think it brightens the room up and matches the center island and countertops. The old set lets the beautiful dark would have all the attention by the room not being so darkly monocromatic. I know darkly is not a real word. LOL

• caminnc
    15 years ago

I like the new set. Do you think it would look awful to add a nice beveled round glass top to make it larger?
    btw, beautiful house!!!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

tinker, I think your new set is beautiful. Your whole kitchen is just gorgeous. I think you will soon feel about your new table the way you grew into loving your chunky island countertop, which is incredible. You have great taste!

• estreya
    15 years ago

I'm coming very late into this thread, but i just wanted to add my "voice" to those who think the new table is absolutely scrumptious. Your whole look and feel is just exquisite.

Also, you have a knack for putting just the right "touch" in just the right spot. That second centerpiece is fantastic!

Congratulations on your home. Trust yourself. Ya done good.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Now will you believe me? lol

Les's lamp is the same one I picked out a few posts ago (near the bottom). You really need a nice lamp there. Something large with color.

We're so alike in wanting to find the perfect furniture that we sometimes skimp on the $$$ accessories. A few good, well placed accent pieces are so important. I do the same thing so I'm not trying to be critical.

The other budget lamp you have is perfect so IMO this one will bring it all together. You stated before that you had seen it and thought it was too big?

Here is a link that might be useful: les's lamp on parma post

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bac717, I found those canisters at Homegoods - 2 years ago.

Les, I think possibly you are seeing what I see and Kswl sees... wood, wood and more wood? I like the pewter compote! That lamp - was on my first (YES PARMA - I REMEMBER!!) "pick list" however, I saw it in person and it's HUGMOUSOUS so I ruled it out. It is really VERY large, like 2 times the size that is currently there.

pluckymama, ahhhhh - the island top! You were following that ordeal too! Gosh.. I have so many "ordeals" LOL

Parma, I always believe you! oh, and you're right - I love nice furniture but I sure do like to shop the cheap accessory stores!! That's a habit for sure. Plugged in my "budget" lamp last nice.. it doesn't work!

THANK YOU everyone else that I didn't personally address! You thoughts and opinions are very appreciated. My house really is put together with the help of everyone here!

The table is starting to grow a little on me.. (like the island top!) However, does it look okay WITHOUT a rug? I really don't desire a rug under my kitchen table because I have a 6 yr old and cleaning is such a breeze without a rug.

• estreya
    15 years ago

I know this probably won't be the general consensus, but i think when wood floors are so lovely (as yours are), there's no need for a rug.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

needed another cup of coffee.. sigh HUGMOUSOUS = HUMUNGOUS. (wish there was an edit button!)

• wascolette
    15 years ago

I think it looks fine without a rug.

• printersdevil
    15 years ago

I love the new set and also leaving the wood floors uncovered.My real question is in response to this statement of yours:
    The new: They made the table 47" and only 29" high!
    It looks small and squatty and too dark for the
    space. I am thinking of keeping the old, and selling
    the new. I think the old looks fine with the bar
    stools too.

If it was NOT what you were expecting in ANY way, I would MAKE them take it back. You are the customer and they have to make this right.

My real question is in response to this statement of yours:

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Tinker, I love your kitchen and the dinette. I do prefer the table with the leaf when the room has no other furniture (like a server), but if you add more furniture or plants to the dining area the smaller table would fit the space better. I love the chairs! Your home is beautiful.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Tinker, do you mind sharing with us where you ordered your new table and chairs from? I really, really like them!

The pic from the family room into the kitchen shows a beautiful provincial country home. Some day I hope you show us some more pics because you have great taste and have helped so many of us with your "ordeals." They have been some of my favorite decorating threads :)

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

pluckymama - thank you! That's so sweet to say, and I always feel I am coming up short compared to others homes and decorating! The tableset and stools are manufactured by "Lorts" and I purchased it from Lexfurniture.com in KY. I first read about them from this website, and I saved $1000's! Lorts didn't have a catalog online, but I found a website that showed all there products. (BeachlersFurniture.com ) However, a local store did carry many of their pieces as well as all the color samples that they do, so I was able to see, feel and decide locally.

It's a dark day here in sunny FL and my already dark house is pretty dark. There is a lot of wood - but I am getting use to the set and liking it much better! Definitely the leaf helped.. so I think it's a keeper and we'll remove the leaf on Friday night card games! ( I play with my parents!)

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

No, I don't think you need a rug at all now. I did when it was a round table, but now that it's extended, I think that once you dress up the table, it will be just fine. Have you thought of seat covers? I hate to bring that up, actually, because the rush seats are so beautiful--but it's an option if you want to break up the wood a bit--which, again, is not necessary, but just putting ideas out there. :)

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

P.S. I forgot to say that I really love the pewter bowl that les posted. It's different and quite elegant.

As for the lamp, what about something like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Porcelain Table Lamp

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

P.S. If you like that lamp, you'll notice that 10% of the price goes to a Blind Cat Sanctuary. :)

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Another, smaller lamp.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ceramic Lamp