SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Is this rug too big??

funkyart
15 years ago

I am in the process of correcting some bad purchases and need to order furniture this week. Before I select upholstery around the room, I want some feedback on my rug. I think it is a tad too big for the room .. is it workable?

I took these photos when the rug arrived and when room was still working itself out (ok well it isn't any closer today) and the lens was spotted so my apologies. Some things that may be helpful to know:

1. I know the rug is not placed correctly-- it is not under the current tv stand so it is buckling a little. It also needs to move towards the fireplace a bit to center on the sofa.

2. The leather chair is a much darker/redder leather and it will either a) move to fireplace side of the room and be replaced with a wesley hall chair in fabric. b) be replaced by another leathercraft chair in the same leather as the sofa (this chair has been discontinued).

3. The chest behind the chair must stay.. the trunk coffee table will be replaced. I am currently thinking an iron/glass type table or a distressed paint/glass table.

4. artwork and lamp will all be rearranged. The cream pillow is gone.

5. Flat screen tv will go opposite the sofa.. as soon as I find the right piece for it to sit on/in. The plan is for it to be a narrow piece so it won't intude too far onto the rug.

6. The wall color is tavern taupe-- a gray with a lot of green undertones that don't come through in the photos. I think the blue in the rug works well with it.

7. The two lumps in the foreground of the second photo are my dogs-- Beau's head and Grace's big ol body

Also, I will be buying 2-3 more chairs.. if the rug stays, do you have recommendations for color/pattern? I'd like at least the wesley hall chair to be a floral but will that be too busy with the rug? The other two chairs will flank the fireplace.

Again, sorry for the messy unfinished look of the room.. but it's the way things are right now. Sigh. I appreciate (and need!) all suggestions and guidance!

Comments (53)

• parma42
    15 years ago

Can you post the rest of the room? Fireplace, etc.

• mjlb
    15 years ago

From the photos posted, it sort of looks like the case piece in the corner would be better for TV, and perhaps the TV stand as an end table.

• Related Discussions

Rug too big??

Q

Comments (44)
    tx2nc I love your blue walls! The rug is gorgeous but I agree w/ the others- too small. cottonpenny the two most recent ones were dcrugs and greatfallsdecoratorc but there are actually others I like better that I got rugs from last year- I will have to go back to my old records and find them. If you look at DCrugs, don't be put off by the prices. The most recent one, I put in an OBO for 1/2 of what it was listed for and they accepted. Every oriental in my house came from eBay. Regarding the chandelier dimensions- I don't know. I am away for the weekend but when I return tomorrow, I will get you the dimensions and details :) stinky-gardener, I am not a designer or architect. I am a writer and work in search engine optimization. I just really love decorating and design stuff! The house is new (well, we closed in April '12). There are pics of the rest of it here (http://stonepondhouse.blogspot.com) if anyone is interested and hasn't seen them :) We started w/ a basic floor plan from the builder and I added the conservatory, dog room and sun room, moved a bunch of other rooms around, took out an inside study and completely changed the structure of the kitchen. I designed all the cabinets and picked all the finishes, etc. (I actually made Photoshop mock-ups of the kitchen and all bathrooms and we worked from there and had some truly amazing people that were able to do exactly what I asked! The kitchen especially I think turned out JUST like the photoshop:
    ...See More

I think my rug is too big....help

Q

Comments (18)
    Heather- In your second photo it is not next to the door, and the fireplace is not a problem. So you just have to decide whether you would rather have it in the living room or the bedroom. I would not get a sectional. They do not solve any problems, they just make make more, as they are oversized pieces of furniture themselves, and your room is not that large. You could keep your eyes peeled for two comfy chairs to face the sofa that are on casters or to which you could add casters, so that if you and your guests are watching a movie, they could just re-position their chairs so they can also enjoy the show. You also need and end table for in between the two chairs, and at the sides of the sofa. And after you get the chairs, hit the tag sales for some great large trays or TV tables for your popcorn and wings!
    ...See More

Help! Is this Rug Too Big?

Q

Comments (11)
    Yes, the rug is a bit large but it will work. Share a simple floorplan sketch with room measurements for best advice. Are you considering a wood or tile floor in the future.? If yes, start a floor fund with the money you "save" by not returning the rug you love. Also,what is the room on the other side of the fireplace? And is that the front door in the third pic?
    ...See More

is this rug too big for the room?

Q

Comments (10)
    It's absolutely not bad. I just think it could be better. If you love it, that's all that matters. It appears to be shades of bluish gray. Will you have such colors elsewhere in the room? It should tie in to other elements. By the way, I think you will really like Accessible Beige. We have it throughout our house and have been very pleased with the color.
    ...See More
  • organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

funkyart: I don't think the rug is too big. We had an 8x10 in our LR, which I'm sure was no larger than yours, and possibly smaller. It's all about the furniture placement. The reason it looks too large, I think, is that it has a center medallion and the coffee table is off-center. If it were my rug, I would move it a bit more under the TV, move the sofa out a bit, and get a larger coffee table (if that's in the budget) to put over the medallion. But then, what would be the point of having a medallion, right? You could also just move it further under the TV and keep the sofa and coffee table as is. I don't think the 4x6 will work, because--in my opinion-- the coffee table looks odd half-off the rug. If you could find a rug with an all-over pattern, it would be much easier to work with, I think.

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

P.S. I see that you are getting a new coffee table. If you keep this rug, then I think a glass top is the way to go, so that the medallion shows. :)

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

The smaller rug seems to work better, the other one does look a bit large. Can you post a bigger pic though so we can see the smaller one overall?

I was playing around with color, bringing in more of the aquas/greens with the large rug, and some terra/coral-y colors -- but totally off-base now that I see your new pillows and a more lit room : ) I was using your screen name when I grabbed some things : ) I may post them anyway, just so you can see a few effects.

Your colors are really pretty, and interesting.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I need to be quick here.. so pardon the fact that responses are short.

The case good/chest is way too high for the tv. It is 48". The tv stand you can see is going. I know the chest is large and ackward-- but I am stuck with it.

The pillows won't stay-- none of them. The gold pillows are soft but I don't like how they look in the room. I'd love to see what you put together Squirrel! I am using a not too bright lime throw in the room and I am liking it for now (before I have any other patterns in there)

DEFINITELY going for a glass topped table of some sort-- I don't want the room to look cramped or too heavy on wood.

OS - I like your ideas but the room is the only path to the upstairs and my two large dogs need space so the coffee table needs to be pretty close to the sofa.

Is the chest horrible there in the back corner? The furniture store is already taking two chairs back (thank god). I didn't push returning the chest too because I do like it.. but it isn't where I had planned for it to go.

I will try to take fresh photos of the room tonight. I have this photo which is pure chaos. That's the same chair that was in previous photos.. the other chair is going. The mantel has been cleared .. pending my next idea on how to work with the mirror. Bookshelves will flank the fireplace (currently there's a painted cabinet behind the leather chair). I found a mill desk for the one side but I don't like the price so still planning on two bookshelves.

I am mortified to share these photos.. but I am eager for your help so I will swallow my pride.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I probably should have waited to ask this question until I had photos without the chaos/pieces that are going. However I need to order the chairs this week.. again my apologies for the cluttered photos, streaky mirror and nasty blinds.

My thinking for this room has been to use leather, rustic woods, iron, mercury glass and textures to work in the mirror ala a Sundance Catalog look but with soft colors and florals too for an english country kind of vibe too. A friend has suggested using spray antiquing on the mirror.. and I've also considered framing it in a distressed chippy paint frame. Removal is not an option right now. I don't want to do too much before I settle on furniture.

Thanks again everyone.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Well, now I'm totally confused, as this doesn't even look like the same room, lol, and I'm not sure what area we were looking at before. I had decided you were in a new home but this now looks like a charming old one?

Is that actually the smaller rug in front of the fp?

• parma42
    15 years ago

I'm so glad you posted this pic! It helps to see that some light comes in the room and you actually have windows,lol, and a charming fireplace. Now we can really see some possibilities.

Curious as to why the chair on the right is being taken out. It's very pretty.

It just dawned on me...is that the chest that was supposed to go in your bedroom? Have you tried it on the staircase wall? Or if that wouldn't work, turned in the corner?

I have had my share of furniture purchase disaster tales in our new home, too, so I really DO feel your pain.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Squirrel.. haha I know it doesn't look like the same room. It is a medium old house-- 1950s (which is new for me). I am trying to bring it all together but the opening to the dining room does really break it up. To the left of the fireplace is the entrance to dining room and kitchen and backdoor (main entrance). The windows are directly across from that. The TV is in between the windows and the front door (which is a cottagey door with a little gnome peak on top. It is currently white but I am thinking I'll strip it to the wood). It's hard to take a picture of the whole room but I will try.

And yes.. that is the smaller rug at the fireplace. I don't like having two of the same rugs in the same room but my rottie girl who is sick loves that rug so I kept it there for her.

Parma.. yes yes, there are windows! I live on a fairly busy street in a very nosy town so I have kept the blinds up and closed until I hang curtains.

I did try the chest on the staircase wall but it looked even bigger there and the chair wouldn't fit with it. It is too long (60") to put at an angle in the corner.

The chair to the right is a dud. It is much deeper than it looks and just is not comfortable-- even with a pillow. It is also pretty large in scale for the fireplace which is pretty low.

Since this is my only real "living space" I feel pretty strongly that all of my chairs must be comfy. They don't all need to be loungy-- but they should be comfy.

Maybe I should see if they will take the chest back too? Do you think it is unworkable? I do like the chest. I think it is interesting and I was hoping a pile of books a vase of flowers and an interesting lamp would pull it into the room.

Sorry for all the long posts.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I like the looks of the chest and don't see why you can't have it if you want. I prefer the look of an eclectically arranged room and have never been that fond of symmetry. It looks more lived in with a bit of character thrown around. :)

• alex9179
    15 years ago

I like the larger rug and instead of using more wood, I would lighten the furniture pallette just a bit. It sounds like you are heading that direction already.

I have two huge dogs, as well, and they get around my coffee table just fine. There is a 20 inch space they walk through multiple times a day. I think you will be able to place the new glass one a bit further away from the couch and they will still have plenty of room to pass by, especially since you are replacing the TV cabinet with something narrower. Your Grace will appreciate the larger rug, too. It helps those old legs stay stable :)

The chest isn't in a great spot. It feels like it's looming over the couch and chair. Can it take the place of one of the tables by the fireplace? I can see it either on the wall going into the dining room or the wall opposite. Not sure if there is enough room with the chest, but placing the two leather chairs at that end will spread the leather around and not make it feel so heavy. Those definitely stay, right? If not, I would replace them with smaller scale chairs without ottomans. If they stay, pull the small rug out from the fireplace a bit and pull the chairs closer together (sharing one ottoman) for a more intimate feel.

If you keep the chest where it is, I would definitely put an upholstered chair there (no ottoman) and place the chair at a right angle to the couch. Then, the chest won't look so blocked.

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

I like the chest but I'd like to see something else tall-ish on the other side of the room for balance. And I agree with alex that a lighter chair in front of the chest, rather than the leather one, would help. The size of the rug is perfect IMO. Just be careful about your placement of the new glass coffee table on the medallion -- you may have to move the rug a little more under the sofa depending on the size of your new table. I like your room!

• anele_gw
    15 years ago

To me, the biggest problem is the colors. I think your rug is so light (I love it!), and while I absolutely love all the furniture as well . . .it is all dark, so it makes the room feel top-heavy.

I wonder how that chest behind the sofa would look painted (distressed) to pick up the tones in the rug? Then you could bring the eye up, break up the dark-dark-dark pattern you have going on, and tie in the rug.

However, since the rug can be returned (did I read that right?) I almost think something with the opposite colors would work better . . .where the orange/rust tone would be the MAIN color of the rug, and the blue an accent.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Well, I was playing with the colors earlier, and then adjusted 'funky' to more English country. Just think in the abstract, as this will likely not be anything you're after : ) Nothing too major (except more and large art!). The top of the mantel is just painted, although maybe you could do a wood piece over it also. Of course, only you know what would actually work in your space.

HTH!

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Wondering if the new chest would work on the diagonal into the corner???

• bfor
    15 years ago

I don't think it's the size of the rug that is a problem.

The color of the walls and the color of the rug are so similar that, to me, it almost looks as if there is no separation...it's as if the dark furniture is floating.

What about picking out one of the tan shades in the rug and using it on the walls?

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Squirrel.. wow, well, I am definitely a "funky" english country so you aren't far off AT ALL. (and in reality, a lot of english country IS funky.. those brits love their funky colors!). I love the bright green. I have already brough in a lime throw-- and when I started this venture, I wanted a funky green leather chair-- like acid yellow kind of green. I have thought about painting the staircase wall a pumpkin or burnt orange-- but the green really brightens it up!

I have three artist photos I was going to put behind the sofa but I really like the drama of BIG artwork there. AND more importantly, it balances the chest.

No, sorry, the chest doesn't work on the diagonal because it is 60" long-- it wastes too much space. However, if I do something big on the mantel wall and add a wood piece on that side (I've been looking for some for months now--have a few options but haven't bought anything yet), I could probably move it against the staircase wall.

You are definitely approaching my style though--traditional pieces with some unexpected colors, accessories and artwork.

Thank you so much for your time.. and don't be afraid to show funky ;)

ps.. what is the portrait you put over the chest? I have something similar in my bathroom but it is a photo of a statue.

Accessorizing the leather chair almost even makes me forget that the leathers don't match ;) (but I WILL replace it with the right leather or go upholstery)

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The walls won't be painted anytime soon-- but they are definitely a different color. They are a gray green with some golden in them-- not unlike a lighter shade of Baby Turtle-- they just dont photograph true to color. So the walls are greenish and the rug is a medium blue.

I won't paint the chest as it is new and cost too much to paint. I'd return it and buy something second hand to paint first. I love painted furniture so this is definitely an option-- but that will leave me with a huge credit at the furniture store. Not a horrible thing.. but it isn't the same store that carries the wesley hall and drexel-heritage pieces I like.

I posted this originally to address the rug-- but all my other issues overlap. What I didn't share is that I'd really like nice rattan or wood frame chairs with lighter or brighter fabric. I've seen some I like online but I insist on sitting in a chair before buying it so my options are a little limited. What do you think of rattan or wood frame chairs by the fireplace?

The rugs cannot be returned.. They have a month of dog sleepage on them. I can move them to another room. I will not buy another rug though until I have the furniture in place. I do not like a darker rug in this room.

I have tried moving the sofa off of the long wall but I didn't like it elsewhere for reasons of flow, tv viewing and view from the door (which is directly across from the chest)

Thanks everyone.. you've given me lots to think about.

• anele_gw
    15 years ago

I almost hate asking, but can the sofa be returned? Since you like a light rug, it just seems like heavy-everything-else is just going to compete (and win) with it.

I don't even think you need a much darker rug, just one with the same tones as your furniture. I'm thinking of something like what my3dogs has . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos

• mjlb
    15 years ago

Oops -- thought the chest was actually an armoire.

Another possibility would be to reverse dog beds and leather chair next to fireplace. That would perhaps make a better conversational grouping.

Alternatively, both leather chairs could flank the fireplace, with your existing coffee table between them, with the dog beds in front of the bureau. Then maybe a lighter scale chair or two grouped with the sofa.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh.. ha! The dog beds were just moved out of the way in that picture. They will be removed when I have the heart. They like the old ratty ones-- and I don't like them in the room. There is only one leather chair at the moment-- I just moved it around the room when I took the photos. It is more than likely going back to be replaced with a different chair in the same leather as the sofa-- or to be completely replaced with a fabric chair. I could get two leather chairs but I was thinking that would be too much leather.

The sofa is the one thing that cannot be returned-- but it is not as dark as it is reading in the photos. Regardless.. it can't be returned. Funny, I searched high and low for this color-- and now it isn't working. :(

I can replace the rug-- it wasn't intended for this room but I liked the colors with the sofa.

• annzgw
    15 years ago

I'll just address the rug, and maybe this has already been mentioned, but I would move more of the rug under the sofa, so that the center sits under the chest.
    I think it will define the seating area more and leave a 'walk way' of hardwood in front of the TV.

I have a similar setup with one of my rugs and I think more of it under the sofa will look fine. Worth a try......................

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Lovin' these funky colors, but not gettin' a Sundance look, lol. It does look English though : ) Here are some color shots for you. And might as well put that h'aint blue ceilng back on : ) Here's some burnt orange and lime green. I'd thought a color like that would be nice on that stair also, but loved the deep green so much and it seemed more English country. (Maybe your monitor is way different -- the stair was a deep, dark dramatic emerald type green ... as in, not brightening things up, lol).

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

oops, 'tis Leonardo's "Female Head" : )

• decorpas
    15 years ago

Wow, great job, Squirrel...

funky, I love your room! Love those colors. I like the wall color with the rug, kind of warm ethereal and then the sofa grounds it all, along with the beautiful wood of your chest. The rattan looks great in there and I know you are not painting, but the terracotta stair wall did jump out at me- I love how it picks up the color in the rug and sofa. Maybe that is a color you can pick up in accessories because it looks great in there. Love your idea of lime throw -- how great on that leather.

I love the rug, so I'm no help there. I have the issue with mine that is very similar though diff colors, in that the coffee table is pulled closer to the sofa so the coffee table isn't evenly over the center. I think your idea to pull it closer to the sofa is a good one.

All in all, your room glows with warmth and is really inviting. I'm looking forward to seeing it when you have the chairs you want-- but I can see how lovingly you've collected things that just work together so well and make your room unique! I have found that collected rooms which evolve are so difficult at times, because right before they fall into place there's that moment of horror where you doubt everything you ever picked out. It's tough to go the unchartered course...but then, the one thing comes together and suddenly, it all makes sense. I see that in your room already. This is a home you want to come in, have a cup of coffee and talk for hours! Well done:-)

• paint_chips
    15 years ago

OHH! I LOVE Squirrel's moulding! That is an awesome idea.

Well, when you told Squirrel that you liked funky... I was feeling "funky" tonight so I played around a bit!

I painted above the mantle and the ceiling, both a greyed blue to go with your rug. Didn't like any treatments for the odd windows, so my solution would be an iron garden trellis thingy LOL. On that would be a cool place to display art. OK, Mirror is WAY over-the-top, but that is why I like it. Oh, and you HAD to have a leopard chair and (not shown) blue and leopard pillows on the couch.

LOL, if nothing else, it was fun!

{{!gwi}}

Forgive the sorry photoshop. Yet another of "those days" : /

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What do you think? I really like the burnt orange wall on the stairs. That wall is too high for me to paint otherwise I think I'd paint it tomorrow.
    I am also liking the wicker/rattan in there. I think something along that line but darker would look nice and fresh. Wood may be more appropriate for year round but the vibe is working for me. (you don't have to ps a different chair but tomorrow I can upload some of the chairs I've been looking at with my store salesperson/designer)

Hey.. you used the fabric I had wrapped over the one pillow, didn't you? I just noticed that. I wasn't going to use it but it looks pretty darn good.

I am feeling better about the room, Squirrel.. thank you so much. I am not sure how much painting ill jump on right away but I know I can do one wall.. and artwork.. and you've shown me that I can pull it together. I am honored and touched that you spent so much of your time on my room.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Ah, so I'm not the only one with the blue ceiling! Trellises with art would be nice there. I think she's thinking of bookcases, so maybe that will help her visualize. I need some flowers in my pic!

Have been wondering where Decorpas was! We definitely seem to pick up the waves out here : ) It's kind of eerie.

I actually like the big comfy dog beds, Funky, lol. But I'm sure they're a drag irl : ) I'm lucky my cats have a window seat that's just for them, even if it does get kinda messy.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

decorpas.. what beautiful encouraging thoughts! Much appreciated. I know I said I wouldn't paint-- but that wall looks GREAT. Maybe just one wall ha!

paint chips-- i really like the idea of a garden trellis! I'd like to use iron in the room so it should help tie things together. I do need bookshelves or cabinets there but a gate or trellis or such above would be great! I just saw some somewhere-- I wish i could remember where i was!

I am not super thrilled with the fireplace cover but it was a gift so I have to keep it. I am not sure if you can see but I have turkish crystals hanging on it. I could do the same on the window ironwork too.

Still not sure about the mirror wall-- I think for now I'll try to work with it. Maybe try the antique spray. I also have my eye on some elegant but distressed wood candlesticks-- but they are pricy so I am waiting until I decide on furniture.

You totally nailed it with the leopard print! I even have a really rich, dark leopard velvet -- it's a little over the top but I have seen some great animal print fabrics. I thought they'd be too dark but it looks great in your mock up!

I like the topiaries too-- mine would be more wild than well groomed (only partially by design) but I like the way they balance the mantle and bring life to the "cold" side of the room.

Gosh, thank you all.. I am very touched by your generous thoughts and work.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I like the burnt orange, very much! Think it should be more different than the floor though, as I have it. Those deep burnt oranges are one of my favorites. I like the lime green, too.

I actually darkened the chair at first, but then all were dark again, so I thought maybe you were thinking something light. I just love the exotic darks with the light cushions.

You're welcome : ) You definitely have a beautiful and unique mix there, and just need to figure the rest out, as Decorpas said. Just love the colors, too. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it : )

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

That's such a beautiful green on your walls -- what color is it? tia

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll respond to the rest tomorrow-- I am so tired my head and body aches.

The wall color is SW tavern taupe. It isn't on their strips-- I think it is a duron color? I should know as I just picked up another quart of it last week. It doesnt photograph well but it is very similar in character to baby turtle in that it is a chameleon. Sometimes it is a gray brown sometimes gray green sometimes golden green. I love it with black.. and almost all colors. The only colors I have struggled with are the brighter yellow/golds.

Thanks again..

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Your dog is in awe.

• anele_gw
    15 years ago

squirrelhaven, I really like that last one . . .the room looks very balanced to my eyes.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gosh, I love it, Squirrel-- and you really captured what I set out to do in the beginning: mix some good quality traditional furniture with unexpected and fun accessories and colors.

I had never planned for a round table but it looks great there. I do work on my table so I may still need a long narrow one but I am going to open my mind some to the round.

LOVE the picture on the floor behind the chair! And the fabric or tapestry framed in the staircase. Perfect touches for my personality/style.

Beau and I both are in awe!

OK.. so as promised am posting some of the chairs I have been looking at.

I like this one because it has the french lines I love but a toned down, less detailed design that I think could work with my style:

This is the wesley hall chair I love. I love the large nailheads, the shape isn't clear in this picture but it is a smallish scale and it just envelopes and hugs me. I'd do a linen type fabric rather than leather. I'll probably go with a natural color-- or lime green-- or burnt orange.

What do you think? I still am unsure whether to keep the darker leather chair/ottoman (which is vry comfy), to replace it with a leather in the grapevine (same as sofa) or to go with all fabric chairs.

I love the idea of rattan but I haven't found one in a line carried by the store where I'll have the credit.

(My current thinking is #2 and #4 by the fireplace..and #5 with the sofa... but I really wanted a leather chair too so maybe the leather with #2)

• parma42
    15 years ago

I took a Ballards catalogue to bed with me last night and loved this coffee table. Can't get it for myself because I just bought another one.

If you go with chair 4 or with a leopard print, I think it would look cool in your room.

Sorry, I'm with furniture the way some are with animals. If I fall in love with something, I feel the need to find it a home. :)

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have been looking at that table off and on for awhile now, Parma! -- Only now do I see how well it would work in front of the fireplace! It won't obstruct the view.. and it would give the hordes of nieces, nephews and neighbor kids a place to do puzzles, play games etc. I like it!

Funny, I was just trying on a brown/blue/green cheetah print on the little french chair (#4). I know it's whacky but I kind of liked it. It's such a great chair and drexel has so many fabrics and wood finishes! I really like the chair in a smokey blue finish-- but then I'd use a different pattern. I COULD bring it home today if I could make it work as pictured. The coral/pink/red is a bit bright but I do love the pattern and cheeriness of it.

Sooooooo many options!

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I really love the last two and they complement each other so well. Also like your other fav, #2, very much. Are you doing any ottomans?

I like the 'round' table in there also. It's actually just something I had on hand, for shape. Now that I think of it, it had a solid top and a shelf on the bottom before I got to it! I also appears as an oval, which looks nice. I also like the simple lines and its chunky wood look in there ... ie, maybe a heavy, distressed, European wood table, with a glass top for the rug and to lighten things up.

Love the table Parma posted!

Yes, that is a framed piece of tapestry from the fabric store : )

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Ooooo--I love the chairs AND the table. And what a beautiful seating arrangement you can make by that sweet fireplace!

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Just some wandering notions.

Thought this was an interesting piece, for bringing ironwork in, although who knows what the quality would look like irl. An English/French country item. Iron Work

Looks like GrandinRoad finds some interesting tables, although I don't know their quality. Can't have everything unusual though! Interesting tables

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ohhhh love the dahlia table! I need to look for tables from the lines my furniture store carries-- as I have a $3000 credit if I return the leather chair-- and $1000 if I don't. The two chairs I love (4 and 5) are from another store.

Yes, I'll do probably one ottoman on each side of the room-- one with the wesley hall chair and one with one of the others (or I will keep the leather ottoman).

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Those are the two chairs I love too. Yes, love that Dahlia table! : )

Too bad for no wicker. That lends an English country feel and it also seemed to bring in the Sundance look, I think. Nice relaxing, casual influence, too, admist some more traditional pieces.

• paint_chips
    15 years ago

Did I understand correctly? You were thinging about the antique mirror spray?

I very recently antiqued a mirror. I had to apply stuff to the back of the mirror so it could eat through the silver film. Not sure if you have access to the back of the mirror or not, just thought I would let you know.

Love the round table Parma found! Very cool.

I hope that you consider doing the pumpkin color on the stair wall. Squirrel has done a fabulous job. WOW, that looks great up there! Excited to see how your room turns out!

• greenthumbfish
    15 years ago

OK, I have to say, every time I read the subject of this thread it says "Does this rug make my butt look big?" lol...

If it were me I'd do a mirror mate on the mirror and keep it. I'd also replace the rug, it really needs some black in it given the direction you are going. I like the chairs you're looking at and the table.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Squirrel - I haven't given up on rattan or wicker-- I just won't start with a piece. The dining room has woven bamboo and rattan chairs-- so it would tie the two rooms together. I have been threatening to get the malabar chair from PB until I get chairs -- but that's a pretty big chair and would take the place of one of the other chairs. I do like it though.

PC - yes, to antique a mirror properly, you have to oxidize the back. There are techniques you can do to the front though. I am not convinced that's the best look for the room.. but it is in my back pocket. I can definitely paint the lower half of the wall (it isn't clear in the photos but the staircase wall has a ledge part way up and then a wall that goes to the roof. I have height issues-- I couldn't do it myself.

Greenthumb hahah.. well I don't know if its the rug or the mirror but SOMETHING is making my butt look big. I hadn't heard of mirror mate before you mentioned it here. I looked it up and wow, so cool. I like the idea but it's going to cost me a lot. I was thinking of getting some barnwood to make the frame-- but mirror mate is sure simple! Thanks for the idea.. I am going to mull it over. I go back to work next week (after a month off) so time is going to soon be more valuable than money so it may still be my best option.

Thanks so much -- you have each given me such great ideas and encouragement.

So what do you think? Keep the leather chair or return it? I do rather like it on the fireplace wall but I love the other chairs too. I am torn. (My 6 yo nephew told me I "better not" return the leather chair. He looooooves it ha)

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I like your new finds better, although we can hardly see the other one -- it's really just a big brown blob over here! I thought the color was wrong and you wanted to reupholster it (more work, more money). I think the other chairs look far more interesting if you're going for a funky, eclectic look. They also look quite comfy!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh no.. I wouldn't reupholster it. I would trade it in for another chair in the same color leather as the sofa-- or put the money to something else. The style is not me.. and yes, it is a big brown blob. OK.. i needed the push, it's going back. My only problem now is that the two most expensive chairs I love are from the new store-- not the store taking the exchanges. I need to get creative now.

I am also changing my mind on the mirror frame. For $300, I think I should do it. I am a little concerned about the frame width-- 3 3/4 is the biggest one and that comes in only silver and bronze (grandezza). Of course, I could paint it any color, I guess. Any thoughts on framing the mirror?

Here is a link that might be useful: mirror mates

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

As my vet says, it's time for your dogs to get a job.

I think I'd just keep working the room, keeping the mirror in the back of your mind as you go. Just let it go with the flow.