SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

It's done! It's done!! It's done!!! It's done!!!!

bayareafrancy
15 years ago

*sigh* My first ever pattern sewing project! Finally done!

I'm calling her "40." Because the materials cost $40, it took (or felt like it took) 40 hours to make, and...most importantly...the whole reason I wanted to learn to sew has to do with a midlife crisis I am currently having because I just turned 40.

And now, presenting......

40!

(There was no one awake to take my picture for me.)

(Posed on my beloved 1955 stove, in front of which she will spend much of her time)

(The floor behind my chair, cause I just kept throwing trash over my shoulder.)

Wow, does my neck ever hurt from hunching over the machine to apply the necessary 6 yards of bias tape!

Critique/evaluation:

This took waaaaay longer than it needed to for reasons unrelated to the basic pattern. The apron is very big and boxy, so I tried to taper the sides for a more fitted look. This took a while to figure out, since I have never used a pattern before, much less altered one. I finally got it right, and tapered the sides (but didn't cut off the excess). The fit was definitely better, but now it was hard to slip on and off easily. So I removed all the stitching for the taper. I guess it is boxy for a reason.

Also contributing to the longness was the fiasco with the bias tape that had to be repressed and refolded.

Oh--and I ran out of rick rack after doing one pocket. So I went and bought more. I started sewing it on, and then realized it was a different size than I had before. So I had to remove the original rick rack, and reapply to both pockets.

Whew!

Nifty things: it is really cool how a few weeks ago, I had no control whatsoever over the pedal on my 1965 Singer. My stitches were wildly crooked and out of control. Curves were impossible. But now, I can control the speed, and my straight stitches are usually striaght. (Curves--not so much.) I was terrified of bias tape, and even something finicky like rick rack. But neither one seems very hard (especially the rick rack). The bias tape might even have been fun if it weren't for the @#$%^& refolding and pressing I had to do.

Bummer things: Shoulders and neck. The shoulders are too far apart (as I type this, they are sliding off), and the neck is too deep/low. (And I made the smallest size, despite the fact that I'm a pretty typical "medium.) But at least that isn't my fault, right? It is either Simplicity's fault, or my mothers (narrow shoulders being genetic).

Ok, I am so sore and tired! I guess I need to clean up all my scraps now. Oh--wait--I don't have time. Because I never did the dishes the entire day. Or put away the food that has been sitting on the counter for the past 8 (or more) hours. Etc. etc. etc.

Or maybe I will just go to bed!

A million thank you's to the kind folks who have advised me on this project. Hopefully, I'll be needing lots more advice on more projects!

:-)

francy

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!