SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slytherinaixia

Building a sewing cabinet

aixia
17 years ago

For those of you who have built your own sewing cabinet or have someone who built one for you, I have a few questions.

My husband is going to be building me my dream cabinet. I've been looking at the Koala ones, but I just can't justify the price. So, he and I sat down today and drew everything out, then took a trip to Lowe's to price things. Looks like we can do it for around $500, including the new circular saw he wants and using 3/4 inch oak ply. (Compare that to a couple thousand for a Koala!) This particular cabinet will have an extension off the back (I quilt) and some space for storage under the main section, as well as having side wings that I can add plastic rolling shelf units onto.

Now, I want to put a lift in, which I've found online. However, if I do that, I have to get a custom cutout for my machine. My options as I see them are to have hubby make a cutout out of plexi/plastic or to buy one from someone who sells them separate from a pre-made cabinet. The question is, who sells those? And, I have a Pfaff Hobby 1042, which apparently doesn't fit a lot of pre-made cabinets for some reason (must be an odd shape or something). Is there someone who would sell a separate one for my machine?

Also, what kinds of advice do you have about making one of these? We're going for something nice that can be a furniture piece when I need the sewing room to be the guest room, so if anyone knows of any tricks we can use to make this work, I'd really appreciate it.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH