SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20102524

WWYD? Install goof(s)

User
9 years ago

So after three long years of lurking on GW, my narrow galley kitchen was demo'd last week. Yay! The crew did a fantastic job with everything including the tough stuff: in 2 days, the load-bearing wall had been opened and the plumbing and gas moved across the slab. And now that we're about 2/3 of the way there, I'm blown away about what a massive improvement it will be.

However, there have been a few glitches - all fixable - where the plan that we agreed to has been disregarded. I posted on the kitchens mistakes thread, but another one came up and I'm not sure how to proceed.

The first couple of issues have been dealt with: floors that were forgotten (eventually done, delayed the work) and a support post that they decided to wrap the cabinets around (e.g., hack them up) against what we'd discussed. They've agreed to redo this, including ordering a new upper and appropriate filler to mask the support.

There is one issue that I still have to figure out. On the interior wall I have a bank of 12" deep uppers and lowers. When the KD first sent me the plan, he had laid out 2 24" wide uppers; I asked to revise it so that I could incorporate the microwave on the wall rather than on my (very limited) counter space. They sent me a revised plan to accommodate the GE Spacemaker MW. Great.

But apparently the order and the install used the original plan.

Here's a shot of the final layout (although I'd asked, and they had confirmed in writing that the above-the-mw cabinet would have 2 doors):

And here's a shot of what was installed:

I need to decide how to proceed. I don't think it's worth it to rip it all out. I could conceivably ask them to replace one of the 2 24" wide cabinets with one that is shorter to fit the microwave? Or should I just return the Spacesaver, and use some of my extremely limited counter space for a counter top MW?

I hate to be a PITA; the crew has been amazing and the kitchen is so vastly improved already. On the other stuff that's come up, the contractor is being very accommodating but he's also giving off the vibe that he's generously making good for a crazy-picky client (rather than doing what we had agreed to.) That's possible, right, since I'm totally kitchen-obsessed and way over-researched. OTOH I'm just surprised that they seem to have mucked up some pretty big details on a relatively small job.

So GW, WWYD?

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022