SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dee_can1

Needle size question, subtitle: is sewing a contact sport?

dee_can1
14 years ago

IÂm a little confused on the proper size of needle to use for certain fabrics. IÂve been under the impression that size 14 needles were the way to go for cottons. So, I ordered a bunch of size 14Âs from Sears, and got them today, but on the package it says they are for Âwovens and knitsÂ.

Also, I had a little accident on Sunday. I was sewing oven mitts, and at the top where the bias tape had to be sewed at the seams, the material was pretty thick and therefore ÂhardÂ, so as I was sewing through the seam, my size 14 needle broke. This was the 2nd needle I had broken on the weekend. It sent splinters of metal flying, and one went flying into my eye. I ended up calling the emergency number for an opthalmologist yesterday, didnÂt hear back from them until 4 pm : /, but in the meantime had gotten in to see an optometrist. Luckily, he couldnÂt see any metal fragments in my eye, although my eye sure did hurt. I do have abrasion on my eye, though, but itÂs now feeling better. Close call, though. And will now make sure IÂm wearing my glasses when I sew, or safety glasses if IÂm worried about needle breakage.

Anyway, long-story short (well, shorter), after that incident, I changed the size 14 needle to a Âjeans needle, and IÂm having success with that. So, could you experienced sewers tell me what size of needles IÂm supposed to be using for certain fabrics? Thanks.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor