SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

January Quilting/Sewing Goals

I might even have to include February! I'm having trouble keeping track of what I'm supposed to be doing and that's how all those UFO's end up in my bin. So I thought I'd make a monthly list of what to work on to keep my mind from straying to something new. @:)

1. Finish borders on Salijo's quilt

2. Start quilting Charms on Point (Ronald McDonald House)

3. Make 3 hanging kitchen towels (2009 Christmas)

4. Applique another SunBonnet SueBelle (Addison)

5. Finish Appliqueing Evening Blooms

6. Start sewing 3-D Pinwheels

7. Make Martha Washington block

8. Finish Houses

9. 3 or 4 6 ½ heart blocks

Anyone else want to play the game?????

SharonG/FL

Comments (60)

• grannydeb
    15 years ago

Hello everyone,

I have a few URGENT QUILTING QUESTIONS for anyone who can provide an answer:

I saw the cutest fringe-edge, tied baby quilt a while back but can't find any instructions online anywhere.

My grandbaby is due in a matter of days and I don't want to mess up his "Granny Quilt" by making it wrong.

It'll be two layers of flannel and the bottom layer is fleece.

I've pinned all layers together, rounded the corners and know I need to sew around the edge and then clip in toward the seam.

MY QUESTIONS: (1) How far in should the seam be from the edge? (2) How far toward the seam should I clip? (3) How far apart should the clips be from each other?

Thanks so much for any answers you can provide.

Deb

P.S. I've sure enjoyed reading all of your comments today about your quilting goals for 2009--makes be want to go through all of my material scraps and start cutting strips and blocks!

• toolgranny
    15 years ago

(You've posted in the wrong place, Deb. Normally you'd ask this question as a thread of its own. But the answers are simple so it's not a problem anyway.)

Welcome.
    I sew about 1/2" to 5/8" all around. Then I clip right up to the thread without cutting it and about 3/8" apart. It's always good to make a small square sandwiched, sew around the edge and clip it to try it out. Throw it in the washer and dryer and see if you like how it looks. You can make the fringe longer by making a wider selvedge and you can vary width of the clipping. It's really more trial and error till you find what you like.

• Related Discussions

February 2014 quilting/sewing goals

Q

Comments (43)
    Looks like this blue and white double four-patch ain't gonna be done this month. I decided to machine tack it using the eyelet decorative stitch on the machine. It's coming along but it won't be bound by the 28th. I'm going to blame it on the short month. LOL! I am having a problem with the eyelet stitch sometimes not being perfectly round on all of them, but I'm not going to obsess over it or do something insane like rip them out and do them over again. I've tried different things to make it stop doing that but it's intermittent. I thought at first that it was the quilt being too taught under the foot and bunched it up and pulled the quilt up around the machine but that wasn't it. I also increased the foot pressure but that didn't help. So I'm just dealing with it. I've decided to use a pillow ticking binding on it, (blue and white) to go with the blue denim and white muslin I've used in the quilt.
    ...See More

December 2014 Quilting/Sewing Goals

Q

Comments (6)
    My biggest goal for this month is to clean my sewing room! It looks like a cyclone went through and fabric is everywhere. I am also still sorting boxes of "treasures" a friend gave me. His wife died about 5 years ago and he is finally sorting out her crafty stuff. Not much quilting stuff, but 2 large tubs full of cross stitch stuff. I am going to pass most of it along - it is amazing that one of the large tubs is almost full of the thread! Big bucks there. If I get time, I will try to sandwich a UFO, but cleaning is my only real goal! Sue
    ...See More

2016, January Quilting/Sewing Goals

Q

Comments (13)
    I started the New Year's day mystery yesterday morning, was sewing along nicely, then had to stop for phone calls from children. I got behind and then we went to neighbours for dinner. So my first goal is to finish that. By the way, it is the Weathervane pattern in a nice setting. Pretty easy. Next goal. While talking to DDIL yesterday, she mentioned they now have a king sized bed, so, would I be able to make a quilt. She is not very particular and likes scrappy. I think a scrappy Log Cabin might be just the ticket. Will help use up the loads of strips and scraps which are taking over the sewing area. Beyond that, who knows! Theresa
    ...See More

January, 2018 Quilting/Sewing Goals

Q

Comments (16)
    citytransplant, I used to live in the Michiana area of Zone 5 but have moved and now play with fabric in Florida. I hear you loud and clear about the kids after we're gone. I've already taken care of a few things plus have started leaving notes on tops. Good luck on playing with your UFOs this year. I think that's a desire most of us have.......every year. :-) Jeanne, Great to 'see' you back!!! Have often wondered how the triplets are doing. Hope all is well. Staying focused ........ sigh. There must be an essential oil for that! Bev2009, Yes, finish a UFO.....my dream is one a month but I know that won't happen. Maybe getting it to the 'top' stage would work but for the most part, that's as far as it goes for me. Sometimes it goes further......if need be. As soon as I get a couple of things completed, I want to start a strip quilt. I saw one laid out as a heart pattern, but not sure about using it. It might work for a small size just to test it out though. DH was gone for a few days and I sewed up a storm. Why can't I do that when he is here? The more I play with my leader/ender project, the more I want to make it into a checkerboard pattern......yup, I think that's what I'll do......maybe. :-)
    ...See More
  • rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Sharon, Sharon, Sharon,
    You are making me look bad LOL!!!!
    When you start your 3D pinwheels please post how you like them. I did not like mine at all and I only made one for a doll.
    1) Make a Valentine table runner.
    2) Finish DGD's red and black quilt almost pieced top.
    3) Bind red,white, and blue waiting since July.
    4) Organize sewing room closet so I can actually SEE what is in there. LOL
    That is as far ahead as I can think.
    Rosa

• lindaoh_gw
    15 years ago

Yipeeee! I finished the arcs! Next they have to be pressed and trimmed to size.
    Linda OH

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cathy, Getting all your cutting done so you'll have something to work on when your stash goes in storage is a good idea.

Jennifer, Wish I had just some of your energy! What'd you do, give IOU's for jammies at Christmas? At least you have plans to make them this month. @:)

Deb, Sorry, I don't have any answers for your quilty question as I've never made one with fringe, but welcome to the forum.

C'mon Linda (toolgranny), where's your list to work on this month?

Rosa, I do my best! *chuckle* I have the pinwheels all pinned to the background, so we'll see how it looks when it's completed. You know I'm going to want to see that Valentine tablerunner so please hurry up and make it.

Yeaaaaaa to LindaOH for actually working on her quilting today!!!! I finished a heart block and worked on the Evening Blooms block.

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    15 years ago

OK, I had a good day today.

1) got the tree down, decorations inside and outside down, everything packed up in the garage
    2) cooked traditional dinner, everyone ate well and was happy
    3) finished quilt top for the wife of DD's boss who died done
    4) got laundry mostly done
    5) played with the grands

Not bad for a lazy day.

Grannydeb, I will see if I can find my pictures with the fringe and post for you. Just remember, you cannot make a granny quilt wrong. It will be loved and used because you made it.

beverly

• nanajayne
    15 years ago

Everyone seems so organized with plans!! I am more the impromptu type. I do plan to finish putting togeather the disappearing 9 patch that I started the other day. I had to put that on hold to do the Christmas quilts. And there is the shelf that I want to put up in my closit for more magazines. (I have had the shelf and brackets since last summer). Then I really would like to get my stacked 4 patch top sandwiched and quilted. That's enough! Can't plan too far ahead I get panicky.
    Jayne

• salijo
    15 years ago

My January goals may seem small and simple to most of you, but to me they are monumental...not having used a sewing machine in well over 10 years, today I finally got my mother's Indiana machine out of the box. Yes, I know I've been on the forum for several months...I'm a thinker, not a doer and it takes me a long time to take action!

This month I need to do two January birthday blocks (I've already contacted the recipients, they will be late because of family issues) and will need to start on two February birthday blocks. I have the pieces cut for one of the blocks....took me ALL afternoon to do it!

Salijo

• nana24
    15 years ago

Oh, my, you are all way organized. I have got three b/d blocks done for the new year. One mailed as the b/d is in 2 days.
    Just before the holidays, I got my sewing room in pretty good order so we could put a blow up mattress in case we need it. We did and my DGS slept there but when my sister in law came she brought 5 boxes of sewing items she is not going to be sewing any more. I don't know why. Some of it is very old--it came from her mother. Some of it will be given away but of course I have to go through and see everything. Needless to say my sewing room is no longer even remotely in order. I found a couple of embroidery pieces partically done which I am finishing. The best find is 3 quilt tops. Two are scrappy cotton tops. One is made of double knit. There was a discussion on here the other day about double knit. It will be quite heavy but someone suggested it be used for picnics and I think that is a good idea. Now I have to decide what to do with all this.

Beyond this some friends and I bought a pattern book together for making table runners. Some how I am in posession of the book and am to be getting together what we need to do the first one later in Jan.

I guess in reality I work more like Nanajayne. Just whatever strikes my fancy.

Hope everyone has a great year.

Sally

• redpenny
    15 years ago

Well today I got the tree down, decorations inside and outside down, everything packed up in the attic.....
    I haven't been doing to much quilting lately because I have been working.....I also started today to undo my sewing room I did earlier after my mother went into a nursing home I have my grandson back living with me so I made the dining room again into my sewing room....I got a lot of things moved downstairs today and set up his room today he was sooooooooooo happy I have to work tomorrow and saturday so I wont get to things till sunday LOL....
    As far as quilting I don't have any major projects but I do plan on making some hats and purses and some fabric jewerly.....I also have some plans to make my grandson a karate outfit.......if he decides he wants a new quilt we will work on that together...... am trying to branch out from just making quilts and I am trying quilted clothing...
    and other things Happy New Year to everyone!
    Red

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beverly, That sure doesn't sound like a lazy day to me!

Jayne, We don't want you in a panic so don't think too hard about this. @:)

Salijo, If you run into problems, just give a yell..someone here will have the answer. I'm sorry we couldn't get together while I was up there.

Sally, Don't forget those chilly nights at the football games for the double-knit quilt. Those things never wear out. Could just keep it in the trunk for whatever. Looks like you'll be having a tablerunner class. @:)

Red, With your grandson back with you, at least you won't have to worry about his well-being. Good luck with your quilted clothing.

SharonG/FL

• wendyfaye
    15 years ago

Goal for January.....

Sort through sewing room to find UFO's.

(I thought once I had a 'sewing room', this would not be a problem... oh well

Faye

• jck1210
    15 years ago

I'd like to finally baste and quilt the first quilt I ever started for dd back in sept but since its so terribly cold outside I like to get started and finished on my 2 new flannel lap quilts for DH and DD.

• lluvtoquilt
    15 years ago

Sounds like everyone is going to be busy, busy, busy! I am new on this site and think you all sound like a great bunch. Heres' my list for Jan.

1. quilt small wallhanging
    2. finish appliquing borders for DD's wallhanging
    3. choose fabric for 2 more quilts (Pinwheels king size and New England Lighthouses wallhanging)
      I think that is enough for Jan. That way I won't have to carry them over onto Feb's list :)
  • grannydeb
    15 years ago

MANY THANKS toolgranny for the generous info on the fringe-edge baby blanket. Who knew an hour of searching online would produce zero results!?! Please see your e-mail for a personal thankyou note.

Quilters, please pardon my intruding on your subject, I couldn't figure out where to start a new thread on your forum and I needed the info ASAP (my grandbaby is due within days).

I too have January quilting goals. During a trip to Hawaii I found the most beautiful (and simple) set of three 16" block patterns featuring native island flowers. I want to make a 9-block, quilted wall hanging.

My January goal is to choose the fabrics for this project. With a baby arriving, that will be about all I can manage but you've all inspired me.

Thanks again.

P.S. Perhaps someone could e-mail me and tell me how to start a new thread? I have other quilting questions.

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Grannydeb, you don't have your email address viewable so we can't send you an email. But all you have to do to post a new thread is to go back one page to the listing of posts and scroll to the bottom of the page. Enter your heading and message, then click on 'preview message'. When you preview it you'll be able to make changes and add links (like a link to a photo).

If you have questions, you can email me at solstice98@att.net and I'll be happy to help.

Kate

• bonnie_nmi
    15 years ago

Maybe if I see my goals in print, I'll be able to accomplish some of them!

1. Finish the up north "Under the Stars" quilt that has been under construction for a little over a year. Too many other projects had definite deadlines, and this one kept getting pushed back. I'm ready to bind it, so I'm getting closer.

2. Organize my attic sewing room. It's a disaster from hurried holiday work. There isn't a clear work space to be seen right now.

3. Finish my penguin top - birthday blocks from 2007. It would be hoping for too much to try to have it quilted by the end of the month, but I'd be thrilled to see it put together.

Not a very impressive list compared to some, but I'm trying to keep it manageable for now.

Grammyp - What are your plans for Storm at Sea? I have been collecting fabric for one for almost two years - since Bon suggested it for a possible pattern for DS2's wedding quilt. It looked too advanced for the amount of time I had, but the pattern intrigued me. Unfortunately, I can't settle on one approach. I started collecting blues, then saw several done in less traditional colorways. I actually bought three different books because they all featured different approaches. Guess that's how the collection/addiction grows!

Bonnie

• calliope
    15 years ago

I didn't make any great plans concerning my quilting for 2009. I've found myself in a very pleasant pattern I got established in 2008. If my day isn't totally berserk, then I take an hour in the morning (first thing, with my cuppa) up to the sewing room and work on the current quilt in progress. If I have time at night, before I hit the sack, return to the sewing room and again put in an hour or two. Seems to be working for me.

My materials are pretty well sorted and stashed in a workable arrangement. I have all the threads and sundries and equipment I need for this year's projects. Gosh, I'm impressing myself.

What I need to deal with are the other crafty items stashed in the sewing room. All of which I need for other projects, like caning chairs. They are sitting around in boxes. Argh. I can't easily solve it by stashing in the closets, as that is heaped with boxes of clothing I need to go through and rip up and sort for quilts/rugs/discards. Decide whether I really do need to save all those cut off pieces of batting from old quilts. Finish a UFO. Finish hand quilting a quilt my daughter started for me when she was practically a teenager. She's pushing forty now. LOL. Turn the unfinished cathedral windows quilt into a large pillow top. No, I am NOT GOING TO FINISH IT. I shall do one one of these days, but with panes a sane size instead of the little teeny tiny ones on the top I started.

The big project is I'm going to rip off the wallpaper in the sewing room and paint it. Rip up the carpet to expose the plank floors and do whatever I need to do to it to make them presentable (prolly paint it and lay a braided rug) and find some REALLY GOOD lighting. You can't believe the dismal lighting around my sewing machine.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Reporting in: 2 heart blocks are done, fabric is cut for the rest of the houses, 4 leaves to do on the Evening Blooms and then 'ruching' a flower. I've never 'ruched' so this will be branching out for me.

Bonnie, It was my thought to keep my list manageable, so putting down what you think you can accomplish is the best way to go. However, the way things are going in my life, I may not be able to meet my January goals and will need to spill over into February. @:(

SharonG/FL

• salijo
    15 years ago

"Finish hand quilting a quilt my daughter started for me when she was practically a teenager. She's pushing forty now. LOL."

Oh Calliope, that's really, really funny to me. I made a quilt top and started hand quilting it for my mom (SharonG) while in my 20's and gave it to her unfinished because I thought it would more likely get finished if she had it. It didn't. I'm now pushing 50!

• polardream
    15 years ago

I am always in awe of what everyone does - it makes me overwhelmed just reading your posts! ;)

1. My main goal this year is to learn to free motion quilt with my Pfaff 7570 - so yesterday went to the sewing machine store & checked to see if I had the right foot & how to set the machine up. Yep, have a darning foot that is SUPPOSED to work so now pick a small UFO wall hanging & will baste together with batting to get ready to give it a whirl. I'm limited on size for FM (I think) because it's not a long arm & I'll have to wrestle quilt around but we'll see. I'll keep you posted.

2. Add a border to a UFO queen size started 2 years ago (finally found someone online that had the fabric I needed that matched & it just arrived!) Find a long-arm quilter & send it out.

3. Dust off and hand quilt 1 block a month on a queen+ size that has been on my frame in my bedroom for 5+ years until I get that sucker done!

4. Keep up with my birthday block group squares. (easiest to accomplish)

5. Big Priority: Come up with an easy demo for my neighborhood quilt group for our meeting Thursday night! I'm thinking disappearing nine-patch (NO ONE has ever done a show&tell with that square!) Then clean the house & get a yummmy dessert ready.

6. NON-Quilting: got the outside lights down, sorted 10 boxes of Christmas "Stuff" and discarded 1, donating 2 & down to 7 including all of the lights! Just had the fellow here to measure for tile in son's bathroom to be installed in Feb. while he's gone to Texas for work.

7. Keep up with lesson plans & grading so I have more time to quilt! Organize stash (ya, right!)

Happy quilting.
    Sue

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Bonnie, I would like to make one similar to this one. It is Eugene's at Quilters Cache, but my plans may change. Like you I have been intimidated by the pattern, but this may be my year. I have LOTS of batiks, so may go that route.

beverly

Here is a link that might be useful:

• calliope
    15 years ago

Sue, believe it or not, it's very close to being finished. I hit it a good lick after my spring season and she had a good deal of it alreay quilted. It has been to England and back, lol, and like you.....she said it stood a better chance of being finished off if I just did it.

When she first left the nest, she asked me for a blanket. She was a struggling youngster then, and money was short.......I thought it was to keep her warm, so gave her one of my thickest and best. She couldn't afford a roll of batting, so sandwiched the blanky into her quilt. Can you even imagine what's involved in hand quilting it? Take two aspirin and work an hour.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm going to try and do my check-ins on Sunday....if I remember. @:)

1. Put borders on DD quilt
    2. Start quilting Charms on Point
    3. Make 3 hanging kitchen towels (1st Monday)
    4. Applique one SunBonnet SueBelle (She's pinned on background and waiting)
    5. Finish Appliqueing Evening Blooms (have 2 more leaves and ruch flower to do yet)
    6. Start sewing 3-D Pinwheels- 3 are done
    7. Make Martha Washington block (DONE)
    8. Finish Neighborhood of Houses (DONE)
    9. Heart blocks (DONE)

Salijo, I do know where that quilt is and have worked on it a little bit.

Beverly, Did you know Marti Michell has templates in 3 sizes for the Storm at Sea pattern?

SharonG

Here is a link that might be useful: templates

• lindaoh_gw
    15 years ago

I'm still working on the DWR. I have all the arcs pressed and half of them are trimmed... 161 more to trim!
    I think the blocks will go together quickly when I get past this step.
    Then I get to start all over for our anniversary quilt. I am getting excited about the quilts now but have to go back to work in the morning. DH has invited a friend to come out to watch a ball game with him on Monday evening. I will stay in my sewing room and quilt.
    Linda OH

• bonnie_nmi
    15 years ago

Number one goal completed!! My "up north" quilt is bound and laundered. I'll post a pic in a separate post later.

Number two goal - cleaning my sewing room - was almost reached. Then I started working on the penguin top and now have every flat surface cluttered again. I took a break today and actually did some housework. I have a hard time putting projects down once I get involved.

Number three - the penguin quilt - is now going to be at least three projects. That's a long story that I'll save until I have results to share.

Beverly - maybe we can get a Storm at Sea thread started later. Mine won't be started any time soon, though.

Bonnie

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LindaOH, Did you get a lot done last Monday night?

Bonnie, How far up north is 'up north'? Looking forward to seeing it and your Penquin quilt.

1. Put borders on DD quilt
    2. Start quilting Charms on Point
    3. Make 3 hanging kitchen towels (DONE)
    4. Applique one SunBonnet SueBelle (She's pinned on background and waiting)
    5. Finish Appliqueing Evening Blooms (DONE)
    6. Start sewing 3-D Pinwheels (7 are done)
    7. Make Martha Washington block (DONE)
    8. Finish Neighborhood of Houses (DONE)
    9. Heart blocks (DONE)
    10.Finish appliqueing Boston Terrier (almost done)

I had forgotten about the Boston Terrier...that's a $$$ one so need to work on it. She wants another one, too, but not sure if I'll do it anytime soon.

SharonG/FL

• lindaoh_gw
    15 years ago

I did finish trimming the arcs on Monday but the rest of the week was a wash. I made a BOM today and did a few melons for the DWR.
    I had meetings on Tuesday and Thursday so I didn't get any sewing done those days. I spent my spare time reading this week. DS and DIL gave me a book, "A Single Thread" that I couldn't put down. I finished that and started reading "Marley and Me" today.
    Linda OH

• jahalaro
    15 years ago

I started yesterday by going through my hundred or so quilting magazines and ripped out the patterns for the ones that really interest me. (It goes totally against the grain for me to tear up magazines but decided that I bought them just for me - not in case anyone else wants them etc and that trying to remember what was in which magazine was stopping me getting started on anything. Now I have a stack of about 80 ideas and my plan is to choose only 5 for which I already have the supplies and get those done before I start anything else. Perhaps give myself a 3-month time limit.
    To do this, I have also given myself permission to pack up all UFOs to be put in a box for whenever I feel like finishing them - no guilt, no beating myself up over them. I had fun and learned a lot but they are hanging over my head and contributing to the slump I am in. Out of sight - out of mind for a while.
    The hardest part will be to chose the 5 - I am going to mix it up a bit and try a wallhanging, a baby quilt, some applique, maybe some paper-piecing and something to do by hand. No queen size quilts - just to have fun this year and variety. I need to learn some techniques and some patience and think this might be a way to control my tendency to start and not finish things. Sounds like a good plan anyway.
    I have the next 6 days entirely to myself so it seems like a good opportunity to get motivated. Also, my vintage hand-crank machine should arrive this week and I want to spend time playing with that.
    So no excuses (apart from the fact it is 36C today and I am nearly melting with no air-conditioning). I do have the wine and chocolates and DVD's so somehow I am going to choose the 5 winners tonight.
    I have loved reading about all your goals. It has made me stop and think about what I want to do. Beth

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beth, I've been there with the quilting mags. I ended up taking almost all of them to Hospice for their sale room. So, did you choose your 5 to work on? You could number them on slips of paper and pull one out of a hat, and if your heart kinda jumped, then you'll know that was the one to start with. If not, try another number. @:) I like what you said about giving yourself permission so as not to feel guilty. Sounds good to me!

LindaOH, Some weeks are like that...you do what you can when you can.

I'm finding I'm adding to my list so I can keep track of everything I do this year. I gave myself permission to do the big quilts next month..... @:)

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Magazines are another of my big addiction. I love to look thru them, find lots of things to do, and forget where they are. Next year I can look thru them and everything is new again. I just cannot bring myself to cut them up till there is just no where to put another one. Same with recipes, especially at Christmas. But I gotta get mine done too. Just cannot do everything in them.

Linda, the book sounds good, I'll have to check it out. If you couldn't put it down, it must bee good.

beverly

• bonnie_nmi
    15 years ago

Okay, ladies, it's Sunday again, and I don't see any updates!! I've been slowed down by a cold, but I used sewing to break the monotony of not being able to to walk with DH and the dogs or do much of anything else that required energy. I actually finished the first, and largest, penguin project. It was definitely "plan as you go" and suffered a few setbacks, but I'm pleased with the final result. I hope to finish the two smaller projects soon and will post pics of all three. As to the goal of cleaning the sewing room - it's looking a little better, but I can't declare it done.

Sharon - "up north" for us is just north of Gaylord, MI, about 40 miles south of the tip of Michigan's mitten. We moved here from southern Michigan, near Jackson, when we retired.

Bonnie

• grammyp
    15 years ago

I have #2 almost finished. Got a bit of quilting and the binding to finish. Hope to finish tomorrow.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bonnie, For the life of me, I don't understand why you would moved further north when you retired. We moved to Florida from Northern Indiana the week after DH retired. Having just returned from Southern Michigan/Northern Indiana area, we don't miss the minus 40 windchills and snowblowing whiteouts. It was grueling traveling (over 2500 miles in 4 days) but the Lord blessed us and we're home safe.

I haven't really done much more on my January goals, but hope to start in again in the next day or so. I didn't put on the list the pink Disappearing Nine Patch I started a day or two before we left. I decided to applique some hearts on it, so I did get a couple of those sewn on while we were gone.

• jahalaro
    15 years ago

I achieved part of my goal. My craft magazines have been reduced to about 80 possible projects in a ring binder. 7 have been chosen as the favourites and are in another file waiting for me to match them up with fabric from my stash. Of course, being me, I started a project that wasn't in either of these files. A scrappy 9-patch with cream on cream in alternating squares which is easy to do at my craft group each week. I did cut up a lot of scraps into strips of different sizes so that area looks a bit more organised. My 6 days by myself didn't quite go to plan - we had temperatures of 40 and 42 celsius and a big bushfire nearby. Our little town was on alert for evacuation for 2 days but fortunately a windshift on Friday saved it. Our power was off several times which made sewing and keeping cool very difficult. When I was packing my car ready to go - first things in were photos, important paperwork, laptop and of course - quilts and sewing machine. Beth

• grammyp
    15 years ago

I finished one more of my comfort quilts today. I'll get it off to its new owner tomorrow. That is 2 down, 1 to go for the month. So far so good!

Keep up the good work everyone.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Eight more days, ladies.

Beth, I can understand about packing for evacuation, and you're right....the machine is there! Wish I had a treadle to use when the electricy is out, but I don't think DH would let me load that!! But then again, it would fit in the van and he knows how much quilting means to me, so he might.

Beverly, You're just a go-getter this month! The only thing I've done lately is applique 2 more hearts onto the pink D9P and get more ready to applique.

I finished appliqueing the Boston Terrier so I can cross that part off. Have you noticed how many different things I have going in one month? Seems I can't concentrate on one thing to completion. Oh well....

SharonG/FL (temps are to get up into the high 70's again so folks coming down for the Super Bowl will really enjoy the weather!)

• fran1523
    15 years ago

I just finished sewing the binding on my Guild's challenge quilt. I can hand stitch it down tonight and it will be done almost six weeks early. You can just pat me on the back now.

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

I have really 'blown' January's goals!!!! I am finishing a baby quilt that I started waaaaaaaay back. Had some probs due to MY not paying attention and really lost interest.
    Worked on it today and I'll start to bind it tomorrow.
    I wish I could get my mags organized, but I love to look thru all of the oldies so much.
    February is a new month!!!!!!!!
    Rosa

• polardream
    15 years ago

Rosa, I know what you mean about 'blown' January goals!

So Far: I cut the borders and will sew them on quilt (#2)- now I need to find backing & long arm quilter
    3. Dust off and hand quilt 1 block a month on a queen+ size - I still have a week ... !
    4. was late mailing already YIKES! I have Feb fabrics so will try to get those cut this weekend
    5. demo for quilt group - THEY LOVED disappearing nine-patch! No one had ever done one! Thanks to everyone on this forum who has & showed it.
    7. Will probably never happen ... delete from goals!!! (Keep up with lesson plans & grading so I have more time to quilt! Organize stash)

I did make a baby quilt for a co-teacher - we have a baby shower for her next week. I will post under another heading (disappearing nine-patch!! :)

Have a great weekend!
    Sue

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fran, pat pat pat pat pat! Six weeks early!!! Good for you!

Rosa, You're right, Feb is a new month....new start for me, too. (I've been working on my list) You're finishing a quilt you started waaaaay back! That's good!!!!

Sue, Isn't the D9P fun to work with? The pink one I'm working on now is put together like nanajayne's. I really like that design. I see how I end up with UFO's...I keep starting another project. At least through the month of January, I can call those WIP's. @:) And, they are getting worked on, so it's going forward.....

Bonnie, Have you posted pictures of your penquin quilt and I missed it? I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

I like the idea that Beth had of giving ourselves permission to put things away without guilt. They'll get done, eventually.....maybe. *grin*

If I can, I want to concentrate on quilting this week and at least get started on the quilting on the Charms on Point quilt. What that means is, I have to clear off the sewing table to make room for it!

SharonG/FL

• bonnie_nmi
    15 years ago

DONE!!! My sewing room is so clean I'm hesitant to start another project and mess it up again. Maybe I can be better at cleaning as I go the next time.

I just posted the pictures of my four penguin projects. It feels so good to have these pieced. I want to get a few more tops done before I fire up my quilting combo. That takes a different mind set.

Sharon, my DH got a good laugh out of your question about moving farther north. He would have gone on up to the Upper Peninsula if I'd been willing. We do love our location and enjoy all of the seasons and the sports that go along with them.

Kudos to all who are accomplishing their goals or at least working on them. This thread really helped me get motivated this month.

Bonnie

• salijo
    15 years ago

Woo Hoo....yesterday, after 3 attempts at sewing my first seam in almost 15 years and then finally getting it right, then sewing my next two seams on the incorrect sides of the pieces (I had to use a pin to pick it out because I don't know where my seam ripper from 15 years ago is), I finally got into a good rhythm and was able to finish up the inside 4 patches of a 9-patch block that is the first of two January birthday blocks.

Then I made a mistake from misunderstanding a "how to" picture on a pattern. This required much more seam ripping than what I could do with a little pin and I decided to put it away until I was less frustrated and could go out and purchase an actual seam ripper.

THEN...my eyes beheld a small tin of sewing supplies that I just inherited about 10 days ago from my grandmother. I wondered "Could there possibly be a seam ripper in it? Please, oh, please!"

Tentatively, I looked through the tin.....YES! I hit pay dirt. I haven't felt so elated since....who even remembers when. So I ripped out the seam and tonight I WILL FINISH THIS BLOCK!!!

Yahoo....one more block to go, then I have two February birthdays...whew.
    Salijo

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Salijo, I didn't know you got a tin of gramma's sewing supplies. I didn't even know she still had any! We'll try and get her machine going the next time I'm up there. I don't think there's anything wrong with it and I think you'll appreciate the flat sewing area the cabinet gives you. How does it feel to get back in the saddle?

Bonnie, Being 'sports people' explains a lot for your location. I went ice fishing...once. You wanna hear about my mom and me deer hunting???? Tracked the thing backwards! And I think that was up in your neck of the woods. Gave me some good memories, though.

SharonG/FL

• salijo
    15 years ago

Ok...I finished the block! Not very masterful, but finished nonetheless.

Tomorrow after work I attempt my next birthday block....it's paperpieced. Yikes! But I purchased foundation paper a few weeks ago and copied the pattern onto it, and I washed the fabrics yesterday; so I have everything ready to start it.

Mom, Wendy brought the tin home with her when she came back from Minnesota after Gramma passed.

Salijo

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Good for you Salijo. Don't give up, it gets easier, or so they keep telling me.

beverly

• salijo
    15 years ago

I'm very happy to report that I accomplished my January goals, small though they were. I made two birthday blocks. I still need to mail one of them. I just need to get to the post office because it's going all the way to Australia. (I usually send mail from work.)

Salijo

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I ended up with 13 things on my list and will carry over 4 of them into February. I also have my Jan/Feb Charity quilt completed. Granted it was a quilted panel, but I had to put a binding on it then handstitch it to the back and, it's done! It will go to RMH when Nick and Julie go down to serve a meal on Mother's Day.

Thanks for posting and keeping the thread alive everyone! I like to see what everyone is working on.

On to February....

SharonG/FL

• polardream
    15 years ago

Yikes, Sharon! still one more day in January ... I tried FMQ but only get jumbles of thread on the bobbin side of my piece! I stopped by the machine dealer today & am taking my machine with me tomorrow (31st!) and they are going to show me what I am doing wrong. I am also going to carry a couple things over ... but DO have my Feb bd block done & one for March & one for MAY!!
    This is a good motivator for me!
    Sue

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm sorry, Sue. February is a short month so I thought we all could use an extra day or two. [grin] Let us know about the jumbles of thread.

SharonG/FL