SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_houser

Laundry Room Help Needed please!

Melissa Houser
15 years ago

I'm posting some before and after pics of my laundry room, which is actually just a section of our garage. Hubby built shelves along the step down from the laundry area and part of those have been converted to a pantry.

Before: {{!gwi}}

I love the shelves, but didn't like seeing raw wood and I hated that the back door was that dark brown. Also, over the course of the last two years, hubby has found several kitchen cabinets and installed them in every possible location for extra storage:

Over the washer and dryer: {{!gwi}}

Also over the door to the outside and the door that leads into the house.

In the last two days, I have repainted the cabinets AND that nasty back door:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I think it looks tons better in there, and I've added some blue knobs to make the upper cabinets easier to open. My questions, though, are as follows:

{{!gwi}}

This window is behind my freezer and I'm not sure if I should make some kind of curtain for it. I'm thinking of a blue check, or a white background fabric with the light blue of the knobs in the design. My colors in here are going to be white, light blue, tan and possibly some black accents. The tan comes from my area rugs which I will put back down in front of the washer/dryer and from the filing cabinet that's in there.

Should I finish painting the filing cabinet white to make it blend in more? I can't really remove it because we store dog food, tp and paper towels in it.

I also plan to make some curtains for the storage shelves on the left, probably in the same fabric I use for the windows. Hubby is going to build one more pantry door which will be painted white and then I plan to stencil the pantry doors.

This room will (I hope) end up with a country theme, especially because it's all "home made". ;) Because the shelves and pantry doors are made from plywood, there is definitely a rustic vibe in there. The wood-look floor adds to that and this is my major storage area for all of the things that one uses only a couple of times a year.

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome....except rip it all out and have it professionally done, because that's not in the budget and that's not really my style.

Oh, and I am open to painting the walls themselves. My thought was to paint them the same blue as the cabinet knobs, partially because this room is (I think) too small to do something big and bold in here.

Most of my house is Behr's "Cookie Crumb" (a tan), with Behr's "Aegean Blue" in the bedroom, and Home Depot Orange in the kitchen. I'm not afraid of color at all, but I do try to keep it from being something more neon.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz