SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annab6_gw

Layout again! Good enough or possible to make it better? (Long)

16 years ago

I've been going back and forth on the layout with our KD. She is very nice and knowledgable but we have definite limitations because the kitchen space is also a traffic path to the family room and has no windows. Finally I felt I had worn her out and this is as good as it will get.

KD is independent, next step is to work with cabinet shops so as long as we are not changing the walls we still have some room for improvement if we wanted to change something.

The good news I got many of the items from my wish list incorporated into the layout:

36" range or rangetop (still undesided about this), 27" wall oven (I wanted a smaller one and can go down to 24" if I want), a large sink, four seats at the island, room to put undercounter refrigerator drawers (will be either to the right of the range or in the island as marked), cutting board and tray storage (next to the range), appliance garage, broom storage (15" tall cabinet around the corner next to the appliance garage cabinet). Ignore the note "standard adj. shelving", we'll change them to pullouts. Also ignore the warming drawer, we'll get it only if we don't get the second oven.

Still, I have concerns about the efficiency of the work area, oven placement etc. I want to prep on the island and specified to leave 48" of countertop to the right of the sink for that. The idea was that others can still use the sink and dishwasher. The dishes will be stored between the fridge and the wall oven. But now the range and the oven cabinet are sort of in my "clean-up" area, I wonder whether we'll be bumping into each other all the time (which is exactly why we are expanding the kitchen in the first place).

I am also afraid that we have too much going on and it will look too crowded when built.

So I came up with a bunch of options which i am thinking about and would love to get input on. But first let me clarify the oven choices.

I think it will be great to have a 36" rangetop but not sure about the 36" oven, seems to big for our needs and definitely not something I would use daily. So I am open to switching the range to a rangetop. But a 30" oven would look too big in the corner so in that case i would have the oven undercounter in the island. The second oven has to be smaller and would be my day-to-day oven. I am also looking at the Miele speed oven which is both an oven and a microwave. In that case I would have the speed oven and a warming drawer and no additional 27" wall oven.

Now the options:

- Move the range 18" to the left. KD and DH don't like it because the hood would not be in the center.

- Get rid of the diagonal oven cabinet. Replace with the upper and lower on diagonal, put a m/w drawer in the lower cabinet. For the second oven, either have one undercounter in the island instead of the ref.drawers or have a small one (Miele speed oven will work) instead of the appliance garage.

- Get a rangetop and wide storage drawers below. 30" wall oven undercounter on the island

- Keep the oven cabinet but get rid of the hutch and move the refrigerator there to make it look more open

- unrelated to anything above, but make the island a bit longer and a bit narrower so we can still have the four chairs but leave more room for traffic on the seating side.

Do you guys think any of these ideas are worth considering and would be a definite improvement? Anything else I haven't thought of?

many thanks

annab6

Comments (9)