SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angryrooster

Black colored mold.

jjaazzy
12 years ago

We have a house in the family that was built in 78, it is a very contemporary design with vaulted ceilings in the two upstairs bedrooms. Half of the bedroom's ceiling is the underside of the twin T's that make up the rear roof of the house, and then the front half is 4" thick deck of tung and groove cedar. Above this deck is a open air space with clear story windows where the front and back roof meet and that is designed to let the heat of the house rise and be released out the windows.

Above this cedar deck is more Twin T's that make up the front part of the roof. Ok I hope I explained that well. The house has never had a mold problem but several weeks ago I noticed that both bedroom at the very top where these two materials come together has mold. It appears to be very wispy not solid black patches. I assume that is fuzzy mold. My husband went up and did a quick check to see if the windows up there were possibly leaking. They are shut now and have been for many years, and don't show signs of leakage. The air conditioning is always on but I suspect that when we had a hurricane back in late 05, the electricity was off for 2 weeks and it probably got real hot and humid up there.

So my question is; What can you do to see what kind of mold you have? Can you get in trouble having a company find out if you do in fact have "black mold". I have heard of residences being condemned from mold. Not that were chocked full of mold but I don't want any problems.

And last what is your suggestion on treating this area. One side is stained cedar and the other is popcorn sprayed concrete, and just to make it really interesting the peak area that has the mold is probably 18 feet in the air. Yikes. I appreciate any suggestions you all might have. TIA.

Comments (5)