SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
red_confetti

Molded Paper Added to Greeting Card - Baa Baa Black Sheep

Red_Confetti
19 years ago

I hope by giving step-by-step instructions I will be encouraging you folks to try similar projects. If you feel inspired, go for it! Your card will be unique... mine is just an example of the process. (This is another card for my mom who has Alzheimer's. Her memory is now limited to the very early years of her life, so I'm hoping she still remembers nursery rhymes.)

I had a pottery mold (Barnyard Friends by Pampered Chef). I'm sure it was meant for cookies, but I immediately saw PAPER forms!

I tore up a few tissues (kleenex type) and soaked them in plain water. The mold had already been sprayed with "cooking spray" so the paper wouldn't stick. I put one layer of tissue (dry) in the mold, then put in some of the soaked tissues. I squeezed most of the water out before I put them in the mold. I then mixed up a weak water/Elmer's glue solution, and using a paintbrush, punched the glue mix into the tissue wads, making sure they got into all the crevices of the mold. I kept adding tissue and glue/water mix until the mold was filled. I used a dry cloth to press the tissue to get most of the excess moisture out, then I put the mold in the oven with the pilot on to dry. (I think you can also put it in a microwave to dry, but I haven't tried that.)

I'm pretty sure you don't have to add the glue, but I wanted to be sure the tissue pieces stuck together!

When the paper was dry, I popped it out of the mold, then dry-brushed the sheep with black watercolor paint, and added a few green grass spears.

To make the card I found a wonderful site that has the complete 1916 version of "The Real Mother Goose" with the original Blanche Fisher Wright illustrations and copied the picture for Baa Baa Black Sheep.

I printed the picture inside a card, along with the nursery rhyme.

For the front of the card, found a nifty little shape in the symbols fonts (DF Calligraphic Ornaments LET), colored it, copied it in a second color, then made a row of them. I printed a row at the top and at the bottom of the front of the card. I just wanted something to 'gussie up' the front, thinking the sheep by itself would be pretty plain.

As a background for the molded sheep, I drew a rectangle on the back of a piece of green cardstock, then used a paintbrush to wet the lines. After the water had soaked in, I carefully tore the paper, using a ruler to keep the tears from going inside the lines too far. After the green torn piece was dry, I glued it to the front of the card, then glued the molded sheep to that. Here's the finished front...

On the back of the card I always put a little note that the card has been made special for... and this time I put a pair of the little leaf images from the front over the message. I also put the same little image under the return address on the envelope. That makes it all coordinated! Just about any card you make has something that can be used on the back of the card and again on the envelope.

Comments (6)

Sponsored