SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seattle_chris

Effects of using the same tile for floor and backsplash?

Seattle_Chris
12 years ago

The short version of my question:

My question is this. If I use the same tile on the backsplash as I did on the floor (I have extra), will it make the room seem larger or smaller?

The LONG version:

I have a very small kitchen. It's basically 8'x10' wall to wall. I describe it at length at the end of the post. I apologize in advance for my long winded writing style. :D

Anyway, I've just finished tiling the floor with this tile. http://www.homedepot.com/Beige-Cream/Flooring-Tile-Stone-Tile/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbbcuZ1z11cvnZ1z1191pZ1z0zizbZ1z119ve/R-202520250/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I'm thinking of tiling the backsplash of the north and west walls, as these walls are to be filled side to side with cabinets and cupboards, so it's not much space to tile between the countertops and cupboards. The east wall only has cabinets/cupboards half way across, and the south wall has no cabinets.

The floor tiles are laid on a diagonal btw. I'm undecided on countertop material, and I haven't built the cabinets yet, so no other color choices have been made yet. So any other ideas on making a TINY kitchen seem larger would be greatly appreciated. It's tore down to the frame btw, so I'm redoing lighting, electrical outlets, etc. etc. Also it's a basement kitchen, so their are NO windows, and NO opportunity for any. Also, I can't move any walls, as it's encased in cement on 2 sides, a staircase going upstairs on another, and a fireplace wall on the other.

It's basically 8'(north to south) x10' (west to east). It has a doorway into the hallway on the west wall in the SW corner. It has another doorway into the living room on the south wall in the SE corner. Next to the SE door is a fridge cutout, so the fridge does not occupy the 8x10 square. The cabinets are going to be standard size cabinet/cupboards, all along the North wall, west wall to the doorway, and east wall, as far along the wall as the west walls. Their is basically space for the north wall cabinets with the sink in the middle. The west wall will can only house the freestanding stove alongside the north walls counter, facing east, and the east wall will basically only have the dishwasher, facing west as well as the north walls countertop, with more countertop above the DW of course. Making a very simple U shaped kitchen, with the fridge on the south wall. Making a diamond work area of Sink-North, DW/Prep Space-East, Fridge-South, Stove-West. A single person kitchen for sure.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012