SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Anyone w/ Pop-up Downdraft?

drjoann
15 years ago

Has anyone used one of those downdrafts that pop-up behind the cooktop & what do you think? I know that they aren't as efficient as a venthood, but I think this is the best solution for our situation. Is it any worse than a cooktop with a built-in downdraft such as a JennAir? Any brands/sources to recommend? Would greatly appreciate any experiences and opinions.

Thanks - Jo Ann

Background: We're trying to "refresh" a 1992 kitchen for resale in about a year. My cooktop is in a 4ft island made from a standard depth base cabinet. When I bought the house it had a JennAir downdraft with a grill and the other cartridge was just two, non-smooth, electric burners. To make a long story short, I hated the thing, so DH disconnected it and got me a smooth cooktop with no exhaust fan which was fine by me since underpowered fans wear on my nerves.

With looking forward to selling the house, we asked my BIL who does house inspections in this state if there was code that required an exhaust fan. He said there isn't, but he would flag it as a non-functional item if he found this situation in the course of an inspection. We want to rectify this so that there are as few flags coming out of an inspection, as possible.

The ideal solution would be to drop a venthood down from the ceiling. We're not interested in putting those kinds of bucks into this and relocating the cooktop is not part of the equation either. The other alternative is to get a new cooktop with a built-in downdraft, but that would be at least $900.

After a quick search, I found a 30" Broan downdraft w/ the blower for $450. This seems like the least expensive option and even though this is not as good as a hood, it does have a certain "cool" factor. With the clearance required by the current cooktop, we won't be able to fit it in the standard 24" deep island, but DH had some DIY "magic" planned to "stretch" the cabinet by the ~2" we need.

Comments (5)