SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcrowley99_gw

Questions about Replacing Roof and Gutters

jcrowley99
14 years ago

Hi. Our roof was damaged during a storm last month. Our Insurance adjuster was just out yesterday and he said that we had hail damage to the roof in several spots. Normally they would say to repair the damaged spots, but the shingles are brittle so they are going to replace the whole roof. However, by that he meant that we need to find and hire a contractor and they will pay for the work (within reason of course). They will pay for three tab shingle, three static vents, ice sheild (we don't have this, but it is now required by code so they pay for it), and any damage found to wood. I should have his estimate by Wed., and if the roofers estimates are different, then he will look into that. We can pay for any upgrades we want, and he suggested adding one or two more static vents.

So, I want to upgrade the shingles to the laminated shingles, add one or two more static vents, and, while everything is being stripped off, I would like to replace the gutters (they sag even though they have had extra brackets added). We had planned to replace the roof and gutters in the next few years. So, I did some research, on this sight and a number of other sites, and I am just as confused as when I started. How do I know if I have enough vents, and more importantly, how do I know if my soffit vents are taking in enough air or if they are blocked? The attic does get quite hot in the summer. Will a roofer check the soffit vents to be sure that they are not blocked? How high on the roof should the static vents be placed? The ones I have now are about 2/3 of the way to the top of the roof. How long can a run of gutters be before I need to add a second downspout? Is there a good place on the web to find a checklist of what info I need to get from the contractor for this type of project?

Sorry if this sounds confused, but I am confused! I have never had to replace a roof before. Having read numerous stories here and other places about what can go wrong with this type of project, I want to do what I can to make my roof replacement go smoothly, and hopefully last a long time.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Joanne

Comments (4)