SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
centralcal52

Replacing Packaged Gas/Electric roof unit questions !

centralcal52
14 years ago

I am contemplating changing out my 19 yr old Tempstar 3.5 ton packaged Gas/Electric roof mounted unit to take advantage of the Tax Credit and also to get it done before my wife retires next year. I live in Central Calif and it gets hot here in the summer (100 - 112). So far I have had 2 A/C people out and I have a couple of questions.

1) My 19 year old unit is installed using the downdraft holes and it sits right on top of the roof duct. The unit that it replaced (old Rheem) blew out the front so there was the elbow connected to the roof duct. In my mind I thought that by removing the elbow and just sitting the unit on top of the vent must be a better way of doing it.

Guy #2 says that he would put and elbow back up there and have the new unit blow out the front. He says that he feels there is less restriction blowing out of the front instead of the bottom. Also he says that that eliminates the chance of water going straight down into the house if the person servicing the unit isn't careful with the water hose during service. Guy #1 would just mount the unit as a downdraft like the current one. Any of you experts have any thoughts on this ?

2) Guy #1 wanted to put on a Amana 15 Seer unit with a lifetime warranty on the compressor and heat exchanger.

Guy #2 said he didn't like Amana/Goodman (something about the compressors) and he was talking about a Rheem 16 Seer or a Bryant unit. That is what I hate about getting bids 1 guy says this is the best and stay away from that brand and the next guy comes in with a whole different perspective. Do you guys have any comments about these units?

I will be getting more bids but I figure that it is going to get more confusing about which brand would be best for my application.

Thanks for any help !!

Comments (2)