SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zacsdaddy

Finished Modern Kitchen (with a nod to the past)

ZacsDaddy
12 years ago

Well, I'm happy to say we finished our kitchen model a week ahead of schedule and even under budget! The kitchen gods truly smiled down upon us! We still have some addition work to do (painting the trim and other touch ups), but we're in the process already of moving back into our kitchen. Once we're settled in, I'll take some glamour shots for the finished kitchen site.

Background: Our house is a 1936 bungalow/row house, in the Spanish Revival style in San Francisco. The house is designed with a center patio with the kitchen, original breakfast nook, and dining room wrapping around it. While the room has no exterior windows, the covered center patio provide an enormous amount of daylight.

The house had the original kitchen (with the only change being the addition of a 18" dishwasher - placed awkwardly away from the sink). Unfortunately the original cabinets were only 18" deep and in many cases, broken and rotting. The original tile was beautiful, but the countertop tile was severely worn, and broken. (And we learned the years of unmaintained grout caused the cabinets below to rot.) The kitchen also has an original skylight which we kept.

We decided as part of the remodel to annex the breakfast nook as part of the kitchen to allow us standard depth counters.

Our Goal: To create a modern kitchen that looks like it could have always existed in the house.

Cabinets: Aristocratic Cabinets in Walnut with a clear coat finish

Countertops: Caesarstone in Buttermilk

Backsplash: Grazia Listelli (2.5" X 10") in Laguna with a black liner

Floor: Basalt Graphite Porcelain tiles 12"X 24"

Sink: Ticor

Faucet: Kohler Simplice

Appliances: Fisher & Paykel Refrigerator (existing), Bosch Integra 500 dishwasher, Bosch Evolution 700 Range, GE Profile Microwave with Trim kit, Zephyr Typhoon Hood

Recessed Lighting: Cree CR6 LED on dimmers

Under Cabinet: Environmental High Brightness warm on dimmer

Nook Pendant: Schoolhouse Electric Hampton 6 with Vintage Green two tone shade

General Contractor: Remarkable Renovations (based in Mill Valley, CA)

Views from Dining Room

Views from Hallway:

Detail shots:

And I can't be ZacsDaddy, without a picture of Zac!

The pantry on the right has five pullouts, the left is static shelves and a broom closet)

Thank you to everyone who guided me along the way -- and for everyone who posted so much wonderful information on this site. This was an amazing resource!

Comments (56)