SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eclectictransitional

My Craftsman-Influenced Midcentury Modern Kitchen Addition

Milly Rey
6 years ago

I figured I'll start a thread for my incredibly slow kitchen addition that's coming up. Got a lot of small tasks to finish up first indoors.

Let's play a game called How Much Will My Kitchen Addition Cost!!!

Categories are:

Under $50k

$50k-$100k

$100k-$150k

$150k-$200k

$200k-$250k

And just for Sophie .... more than $250k

The house is a midcent modern split level with a lot of stone and cedar, exposed rafters, and other lingering craftsman influences. It's got carthedral ceilings on all the upper levels. It has the original kitchen, which was once high end interior designer, all custom frameless, but absolutely horrible in every way when it comes to actual cooking. Adding on will be much better than remodeling.

I'll help you out a little by saying that the ballpark estimates given by GCs and an architect ranged from $300 (a low end builder) to $500 (architect) a square foot, not counting the outdoor space. Average for the region (high COL area) is about $350-400.

Size of addition? 370sqft, counting walls. About 28.5' by 13'. Cathedral ceiling rising from 101" (8'5") to 125" (11'4"). Three existing boxed beams will have a decorative fake beam over them and two more added.

An existing 5'x4.5' pantry is going to be enlarged to 5'x7' and included. This is going to be a pain.

I have done a lot of DIY in the past, but this time, noooope. I might assemble a few cabinets. I'm not even going to paint.

I have a covered patio that is going to be the future location of the kitchen. It has a foundation wall already. The roof is already part of the house. No structural changes will be needed. But part of the addition will have to cantilever 2' over the existing cmu block foundation on two sides. The porch slab can't be used. A new joist system must be installed instead that will float over the slab and rest on the existing foundation wall.

There is a ton of demo work to be done. A decorative deep (6") stone veneer must be demoed. A small 10x18' deck must be demoed and rebuilt--larger, 12'x28'. I'm going to be getting a steel and fiberglass translucent deck system for it. (Supports still wood.). Grading also must be redone now rather than later. There is also the world's weirdest scalloped concrete apron--ends up being the equivalent in concrete of a 4-step stair 24' wide. Must go. I actually need the broken concrete in an erosion control project elsewhere, so at least I don't have to pay for disposal. Existing ceiling must go.

There will be 22' of continuous windows. Fiberglass triple pane, white. Counter to cathedral ceiling. One outside door--36" roughin, glass. There must be a step. Stain grade oak tread and riser, more than 4' wide.

Electrical system to house must be entirely upgraded, including a sub panel. Electrical plan will include ambient can and strip lights, like these: https://www.lightology.com/index.php?module=cat&cat_id=438 Also included will be a modern designer chandelier above the sink and subtle pendants above the dining table. Will have provision for future in-cabinet lighting, if I don't do it now. Wall washers for one side. Kable light task lighting over all counters. Toekick led tape. Outdoor lighting in leaves. Must have 3 circuits for small appliances, 2 for fridge/freezer, 1 for dining and pantry, 1 dedicated microwave, 2 dishwasher, 1,double oven, 1 warming drawer and hood circuit together, 2 for disposer/instant hot water, plus lighting. Got electrical contractor already. Counter outlets will be plugmold and pop up.

HVAC will go on existing zone. We have the capacity already for addition. I have to destroy my basement again to run supply and return. Got HVAC guys already.

Plumbing will take water from a 1" supply across the opposite exterior wall. Drain will run next to HVAC in basement. Can't tie into main drain indoors. Must do it outside, underground. 2 sinks, 3 faucets, 2 dishwashers, 1-2 disposers, 1 fridge with ice maker. Got plumbers already. Will have gas line run but not connect it to anything at this point.

Ceiling insulation will be spray foam with fire retardant. Only way to get up to recommendations. Everything else will be fiberglass. We will have T1-11 siding temporarily. The siding upgrade won't come until we do a second addition.

Cabinets will be IKEA with IKEA doors. Got about 30' of lowers, 22' of pantry cabinets, 8' of appliance cabinets, and 20' of horizontal cabinets. Will also have 10' builtin bench seating. Will need new table. Going custom this time. Will also have narrow 18 inch by 5-6' stainless steel table as island with adjustable stools.

Appliances will include a 36" induction cooktop with great wattage outputs, a higher end extending downdraft, one new cover panel ready dishwasher (already have another DW to reuse), one 26 cubic foot or greater French door fridge in stainless with an ice and water dispenser, a 24-30" vertical all freezer unit (for pantry), a double oven (probably steam), probably a panel ready warming drawer, instant hot water.

Two modular sinks. One 45" and one 30". Three pull down faucets, chrome finish.

Backsplash: To ceiling on one side of wall, 22' wide. Something spectacular and designer but modern. Tile.

Flooring: will have to be subtle. Either LVT or tile. Will be redoing old living room, pantry, old kitchen, and old dining (about 600 sqft?) in LVT (not included in estimate), but lower main part of the kitchen will probably be large scale porcelain.

Must redo half bath after this.

Plan for eventual outdoor kitchen on the new deck. Will have lighting added to eaves during remodel but that will mostly be a later task. Not included in kitchen cost.

Comments (40)

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks