SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sparklekitty_gw

Backsplash Advice - Red Birch, White and Granite

sparklekitty
13 years ago

I am stuck on picking a back splash and would love some input. My idea I have is a light, relaxed kitchen. Not too formal, not too trendy (actually I am kind of fixated on not wanting to ever change anything after a full house gut reno :), but not too typical (I know good luck.) I love contemporary but this one went more in-between (why do I pause on the word "transitional"?) Here is what we have so far:

- Natural Red Birch Cabinets, some with glass

- White painted accent cabinets (pantry, island and desk) - BM Dove Wing - slight gray undertone

- Pietra Del Cardosa for perimeter counters (natural or enhanced, not sure)

- Supreme White Granite on Island (or quartzite or whatever it is :)

- Natural Maple floors

- Wall color - leaning towards a light warm gold or greenish color (BM Light Khaki, Bronzed Beige, or Warm Straw) with white-ish trim, though there is not much wall space on the main walls.

Here is a link to the kitchen album http://s932.photobucket.com/albums/ad166/sparklekitty_kitchen/Kitchen%20in%20progress/

Here is a link to back splash option photos http://s932.photobucket.com/albums/ad166/sparklekitty_kitchen/Kitchen%20Backsplash%20Options/

I went in thinking I didn't want small mosaics - beautiful, but I generally find them too busy, especially if the colors vary a lot, but of course I have some shown in the photos of ones I am considering. I love marble - particularly calcatta or anything with brown & gray color. Although none of the photos show larger rectangular marble tiles, I am considering them as well, in standard subway pattern or just stacked (which I think is a little contemporary/different especially if larger tiles.) Many of the tiles come in different sizes, which I have noted for some.

My questions are:

- What is going to accent or compliment what is already going on without being too busy (note the island material has lots of contrast)?

- Is everything just too dull/gray/white? Is the kitchen too cold or do the cabinets successfully lighten things up? Should the back splash also be warm.

- For those who are good at this, what do you think? What type of effect do these choices give?

- The blank spot on the wall to the right of the large window will be open, bracketed shelves. Should the tile end at the bottom of the first shelf or run the entire way up? Otherwise do I paint behind the shelf?

- I prefer the polished marble, but would consider tumbled though is it harder to keep clean?

As a side question, if anyone has any great photos of beautiful or fun open shelving, please let me know. That open spot on the wall is begging for a good idea.

I have gained so much from reading through the old posts...thanks to all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backsplash options

Comments (7)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!