SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaknzmom

DD thinks college funds will just appear!

shaknzmom
15 years ago

DD is a high school junior and a very good student....90th out of 620 kids in her grade. Has never had to work for her grades, so she could be closer to the top if she actually tried.

I'm trying to get her to look at/apply for scholarships. It starts an argument every time. She goes online and does the contest type scholarships (the ones where you just fill in the blanks...no essays or effort) but that's all she'll do. She'll dink around on the websites but rarely actually does anything worthwhile. When the arguing starts she gets mad and says "I'll get into college!" I can't get her to realize that's it not about getting in...it's about trying to pay for it once you are in!

We have nothing to contribute due to unexpected events. She thinks we should just be able to pay for it and she'll pay us back. We barely have money to pay our monthly bills! Now that she kind of understands that we don't have the money to loan her, she wants US to get parent loans that she'll pay back upon graduation. Great...if she is unable to get a job we'd be stuck with the bills...and that would result in us losing our home. She's thinking she can graduate with $80k in debt! Can't happen.

HOW do you get kids to understand that money doesn't just fall from the sky when they're ready for college? She's a book smart girl, but a little lacking in every day common sense.

I'm so frustrated. DH and I didn't have the chance to go to college...and she swears she wants to go...but I don't know how to get her there. We've visited a few colleges that she loved. I was hoping that would be what she needed to get serious. She only wants to work part-time this summer so she still has time to 'hang out'. Sigh....

She's a good kid... I feel like I'LL be a failure if she doesn't get to attend the 4 year college she wants to go to. She refuses to go to community college. I can't let her learn the hard way to where she ends up not going because SHE wasn't willing to MAKE it happen. People say that if she isn't willing to do the work now, she won't be willing to do it in college either. I think that if I push her now and get her to LEARN HOW to do the work, that in college she'll be more willing.

I'm going insane....can anyone give me ideas/prompts to help her get a clue?

Comments (8)

Sponsored