SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momma_bird_oh

'teaching to the test'

Momma_Bird_OH
22 years ago

I live in Ohio, where we have a 4th grade proficiency test. If the child fails the reading portion, they are held back and have to repeat 4th grade. There is also a 9th grade proficiency test. If the child fails it, they get to progress but must reatke it over and over until they pass, or they can't get their diploma when they graduate - they get something like a "certificate of completion" instead.

I hear people constantly talk about teachers "teaching to the test". I would like to get the other forum members' input on just what this means. My son is only in 1st grade, and so far I am THRILLED with his school, I feel like he's learning at a much faster pace than I did in primary school, he's doing well, and his teacher is doing a great job.

So many of my friends, coworkers, and neighbors gripe about teachers "teaching to the test" but I haven't seen any evidence of this, at least yet. How would I know if a teacher was just "teaching to the test"??? In our conferences, his teacher has never even mentioned the dreaded test yet.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH