SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tamar_422

Montessori Kindergarten

tamar_422
17 years ago

My son will be 5 in May. He has been in pre-school for the last 2 years. His teacher expressed concerns that he may not be ready to start kindergarten in the fall. He's very curious, has a fabulous vocab, but is not interested in numbers and letters. He doesn't know the complete alphabet and he doesn't always count to 10 in order. He may be pre-ADD, in that he seems not to focus on classroom stuff that he's not interested in. However, he is not disruptive to the class - he pushes himself to the edge of the group and then will play with his shoe. The teaching staff tested him with the Ages & Stages Questionaire, and he passed the cut-off for 5 year skills. However, based on the pre-school teacher recommendation, we decided to have him repeat another year of pre-school, vs. starting kindergarten and becoming frustrated and hating school. Plus, he would be one of the younger kindergartners.

Then we found out that there were no open spots in his current pre-school for next year. Rather than sending him to another pre-school program, an educator in our district suggested sending him to private kindergarten. That way, if he was ready, he could be moved up to 1st grade, and if not, he could repeat kindergarten in the public school.

Here is my dilemma. I am trying to choose between a 2.5 hr. conventional program, or a full-day Montessori program. He is used to a full-day pre-school program, and of course, his subsequent school years will be full-day. Does anyone have experience with Montessori? Thanks for your help.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus