SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grignon_gw

Chimney chase repair

grignon
17 years ago

I have a 35 yo home with a salt box roof line. Midway down the long slope, the fire place chimney chase is inset ~18" into the roof, creating a dam. Over the years, rain/melt water has has flowed off the roof edge, down the face of the chase and rotted the vertical structure, sole plate and plywood sheathing at one corner. The cedar shingles are largely intact.

First, with the disintegration of the sole plate (2 stacked 2x4s), the whole structure has tipped a bit toward the rotted end. It's not visible from the structure's appearance, but a small gap has opened at the downstream joint between rake and chase and the flashing has buckled along the slope and lifted on the downstream side of the chase. There are no leaks or rotted wood in the house structure, other than a little punky wood on the upstream rake and soffit boards.

Should I bother with jacking the whole structure back to perfect vertical or just replace the bad elements at the current orientation and reflash the chase?

2nd, How can I divert the water dammed by the chase so it doesn't flow down the structure>

Comment (1)