SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sameboat

Son Waiting a Year Before Going to College

sameboat
12 years ago

This seems to be a safe place to express my disappointment. My son just informed us he will not be going to college next year but he has decided to wait a year. I'm afraid next year he will decide not to go at all. He has a job and is saving for a vehicle. He's a good student but doesn't enjoy school. He goes to a voc/tech school and has a job in town working in the field he wants to be in so I am grateful we sent him there. My hope for him was to learn the management part of business so he could possibly run his own business someday. Of course, being a kid, he prefers to work on the machinery which at this point in his life is "fun". I get that. But I don't want to regret not pushing him. I don't want him to ask me one day why we didn't insist he go to college. A lot of kids wait a year now before going to college. I'm just afraid it won't happen for him. DH says we have to let him make the decision for himself. This is tough. Especially when I see his friends know where they're going, what they're going to study, etc. Neither my husband nor I finished college and we are middle-class, blue-collar workers. I want more for him. Just sharing a mother's disappointment anonymously.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21