SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
powder70

Looking for layout help on 'fast' kitchen remodel - please!

powder70
14 years ago

I'm so happy I found this site - and I've become addicted to reading posts daily! We are buying a home and planning to renovate the kitchen area prior to moving in. If all goes as planned - I'll have to make lots of decisions within a month! I've read through the "Read Me if You're New..." info and think I have everything in order to ask for advice. I'm amazed at the 3D images and thoughtful suggestions on this board and look forward to hearing what folks have to say.

A diagram of the general plan is below. We are planning on full-overlay, ceiling height (8'), shaker style doors - maple w/stain, and stainless steel appliances.

Our plan is very similar to the current layout. We're making minor changes - the stove has been moved 12" further from the sink wall, the fridge is slightly repositioned, and the island is moved further from the sink wall to make the space more usuable. We are putting in new floors and the hook-ups are positioned so that these changes shouldn't be problematic.

Here are some of my questions/thoughts/concerns:

LOWER CABINETS: How to best utilize space and have room for pots & pans near the range? If we put in a lower lazy susan, there's not much space left for cabinets. Is a lazy susan good for pots & pans? I'd love pull-out drawers, but 12" isn't big enough -- so should I reposition the range closer to the fridge? I definitely want a baking pan cabinet w/slats for separation. Suggestions for lower cabinet layout are needed!

UPPER CABINETS/MICROWAVE: If it's not clear on the diagram, the kitchen opens into the only, relatively small dining area. From there - the dining are opens into the living area -- so the range/fridge wall will be viewed often. I'd like to use a range hood (stainless steel w/cabinet above vs. the open area around the hood), but need a place for the microwave. I don't want it below the counters -- so am thinking that a counter to ceiling cabinet on the far end of the sink wall would work - the microwave would basically be at the counter-level). I'm a bit worried about blocking off the kitchen - but the pro would be that the sink mess would also be hidden - right? I'm interested in using a microwave/convection oven (so I have a second oven) and they are 20-21" in depth, so this cabinet would be deep and take up most of the counter space there. Thoughts?

ISLAND: The overhand will only be about 9" - but we have that in the house we are renting now and it's ok for seating. Thinking of pull-out trash closest to the range - then cabinets. I'd actually LOVE a second dishwasher in the island (we like to entertain) - but doubt it is in the budget. Any thoughts on two dishwashers in a kitchen of this size?

APPLIANCE GARAGE: I'd love to hide the toaster and coffee maker in the corner.... is there a good option other than the accordian style that still provides lots of space inside the garage?

BUILT-IN PANTRY: The idea...

Comments (16)