SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jjfrisco_gw

Window above mantle - Sheetrock, brick or both?

jjfrisco
15 years ago

We currently have a fireplace that does not have a chimney. The builder put a rectangular window (approx 5' long x 2' high) right above the mantle. We have always struggled with what to do in this area. We have thought decorative windows, something to cover it up, but we are not really in love with any of the ideas.

Our latest idea is to just "get rid" of the window and have sheetrock above the mantle like 99% of all other houses. That way we can put a picture or a tv (my vote) over the mantle. We have a couple of options to get rid of the window, and I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions or concerns (building code, condensation, etc).

Here are our options for getting rid of the window:

- Sheetrock over the interior part of the window. Leave the exterior as is, with the window showing.

- Sheetrock the interior, leave the window, brick over the exterior.

- Remove the window, sheetrock on the inside, brick over the hole on the exterior.

We have the solar screens on the outside of the window, so you cant see in that window. I'm for the cheapest way to get rid of the window, but I also dont want to run into issues down the road with the window, house inspectors, etc. Any thoughts on the options above, or any other options?

Comments (13)