SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arlingtonvaremodel

Looking for advice on dining room built-ins

ArlingtonVAremodel
10 years ago

We just put on an addition and renovated some existing areas of our home -- we've been back in the house a couple of months now and are getting a sense of what needs to be done in some of the original areas that were not renovated.

Since January, the dining room has been useless because it's been filled with boxes. We're finally ready to do something with it (unpacking is still in progress, so excuse the mess in the photos). I'd like to add wainscoting and some not-too-deep built-ins.

Here's my question (and I am sure people will have answers to questions I am not asking, so feel free!): If I were to do built-ins on either side of the window, should they be shelves with bottom cabinets (and possibly some room on either side of the window for curtain panels) or should I do corner cabinets? I like the look of both and am really torn. I definitely need some storage but don't want to crowd the room.

Dining room is 12.5 feet by 11 feet (window wall is 11 feet). Table is a custom six-foot round -- it's big, but we are most definitely keeping it. Chairs need not stay the same, but that is a topic for a different day. The room has three openings: to the living room; to a hallway that used to be our tiny kitchen and now leads to the new kitchen and family room area; and french doors to DH's study.

View from living room

View from DH study (arch is to living room; doorway on right is to hallway to kitchen)

View from hallway

Your thoughts are very much appreciated!

Comments (11)