SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_250784160

I want to make built ins...any advice on what will look best?

C A
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi,

I have this recessed space in my two bedrooms around the windows, part of the architecture of my building. I feel it's perfect for creating built ins. Here are photos:

I plan to have a cabinet at the very bottom where I can open and close it, then above it and going up will space a few shelves. It's a very high ceiling apartment, so the shelves will house decorative items and will be a nice focal point that goes up high.

Kind of like this inspiration photo, although it's not as high ceiling as mine:

I talked to my carpenter and he was saying that we can make the cabinet at the bottom to close. But for the shelves, we debated either just adding the shelves simply to the current recessed wall as is (floating ones) or the idea of building sides and back into that space and putting the shelves into that.

Kind of like this photo I got from an internet search, you see she had a recessed space already, but she still put in wood on the sides and back to complete it before putting in the shelves.

But as you look all the way up in my space, there is a beautiful natural curve at the top corners, it's how they made the apartment when it was built. I was worried if we totally build into it, we lose that feeling a bit? (click on the photo to expand it to see the top corners)

What would you do? Build into the sides and back as well? Or just stick the shelves onto the wall?

The other thing I guess is that my walls are concrete and hanging the shelves into that seems it will be an effort. Not sure what is the best look though.

Thoughts?

Comments (13)