SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hollylh_gw

brewbeer and others--foundation costs in NE

hollylh
16 years ago

Hello--Brewbeer, saw your posting for nadine33 and did not want to hijack. We live outside Boston also and are contemplating a breezeway-type addition between our separate garage and main house. I say breezeway, but actually it would be completely enclosed, insulated, etc. It would be about 5'x12'. Would this also need a four-foot frostwall, etc. or could it be built on slab or something less expensive?

Background: we are wanting to add on to our kitchen/family room/mudroom area, and our current plan involves blowing out three exterior walls, but only about 3 feet on all sides (due to lot size). We just got our first ballpark quote yesterday and I have major sticker shock, and it seems to me that maybe one problem is moving all those exterior walls (one story)and building all that new foundation. With the amount of space we're actually gaining the price right now does not justify itself. NB, I don't think we'll be in this house forever--we are trying to tweak to get another 5 yrs out of it.

I am waiting for other quotes and also requested the first guy to give me something itemized (it was just a number and I have no idea how he came up with it). We need to know what's the most expensive so we can modify the plan.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (2)

• Brewbeer
    16 years ago

If the roof over the new space is going to be supported by the breezway, then you will need the four foot frostwall. If beams can be run between the house and the garage, and assuming the garage has the four-foot frost wall, you may be able to get away with less by supporting the roof on the beams, depending on local building codes.

Moving a wall three feet out isn't worth it unless you intend to stay put for quite somr time. If you are moving in five years (or less), I wouldn't spend the money on an addition; you won't get it back.

• jegr
    16 years ago

Brewbeer is right.

If you are going to move in 5 years, do cosmetics - landscape, spruce up the bath, add a granite counter top, hard wood floors, etc...