SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmhall2000

Need to cry....almost at the end of remodeling...

lmhall2000
16 years ago

I am so very fortunate that we have made it through this remodel with very few bumps..we've had a few "ouch" moments, but overall..we have created a great home for our family that we hope to live in for many years...

We started looking because we knew in the long term we would have the ability to take care of family members if they needed a place to be cared for...I stay at home and homeschool our children...my husband works very hard for us to be able to do so..I have two aging grandmothers and my parents are in their mid sixties..

We are planning on moving in next week! Full kitchen demolition/remodel..all flooring replaced (I tiled, stained wood floors, painted over 3000 sq. feet of walls...hired painters to do the last 1000..I was just sick of paint, designed and framed out 1100 unfinished attic space..drywalled all that added skylights...added a bathroom and new everything in all baths...) a pretty major 4 month overhaul...I am the general contractor, tile setter, painter, designer, purchaser you name it. Dear husband is the banker.

This past Tuesday, I found out my dear dear grandmother has lung cancer...she's followed our remodel with joy and worry..laughing about the trip to the X-ray for my nose that met framing material...the two flooded bathrooms from busted pvc piping...just happy to see us getting close to moving in...then POW...here she is facing the toughest decision..she's 84..she's having surgery this next Tuesday to try and see if they can get it out...three options...they can get it out, they can take 1/2 a lung, or they can take the whole lung...prognosis is sketchy at best...here I am preparing this home to be a haven for those in need and she may not even be able to come be with us...it's breaking my heart. I can't be excited about the completion date knowing she may not be here to share it with us.

I go to buy faucets and I can't keep the tears back...I need to buy bulbs for my last home inspection and I can't stop thinking about her...we will be there at the hospital with her...I've been so strong up to this point and I have several subs coming in on scheduled times where I have to be there and I just can't focus. I came to this board to ask a question and I'd hoped next week I could share our final pics...I thought the end of this remodel would be a joy, and it just really means nothing to me at this point...

Please pray for my mamaw.

Tara

And thank you all for all the great suggestions/tips you've given that have made me feel confident up to this point!

Comments (9)