SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lburas

Fiberglass versus Steel versus Wood Exterior Doors

lburas
17 years ago

I am interested to know others' experience with exterior doors. I have a large front door facing west and live in the South, so the door gets a large amount of direct sun for half of the day. The current door is wood; the previous owner put no gutters up, and the roof design caused water to splash on the door and sidelites and caused some rot on the sidelites at the bottom. The door is mahogany that has been painted and doesn't seem to be rotted, but it does sag. A carpenter told me that he could rebuild the door frame and sidelites for $1000. My husband thinks we should just replace the whole unit with a fiberglass door and sidelites because wood rots and steel rusts. We have put up gutters, by the way. I have heard that fiberglass doors warp. The present door and sidelites have beautiful leaded glass and I'd like to keep that if possible. So my questions are: 1. Is what the carpenter proposes to do feasible/make sense? 2. Do fiberglass doors that face west warp? 3. What is the best type of exterior door to go with, in your opinion?

Thanks!

Lburas

Comments (2)