SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Help picking railing/balusters

2ajsmama
15 years ago

Hi, I've finally decided on the style I want for my railing and newel posts. Since it's only 36" from my bottom step to the opposite wall, we decided to put the newel on the top step, right against the second riser. By code, the rail has to extend to the edge of the bottom step so we chose an over-the-post railing that will continue past the newel. And since builder didn't put in the wider bullnose bottom step I asked for, we can't turn out to the side, so I chose a vertical volute like this (fifth picture from left, top row)

http://www.coffmanstairs.com/idea-gallery/#

I think the scroll echoes my brackets

Now, my question is, since all my woodwork is stained and not painted, I don't think we should use painted balusters. The DR floor is B. cherry (will darken), the stair treads are oak with just an oil finish, and the risers (when I get them all done - just did DR side and bottom riser) are pine with a clear finish (I can tint a little honey like the baseboard). So, should I go with oak balusters, BC rail and newel, or all oak? I was thinking of staining the cove base under each tread a darker cherry for contrast, to make it easier to see edge of tread for safety.

Comment (1)