SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jinsocal

Redwood Railing & Baluster Questions

jinsocal
16 years ago

This past summer I requested information related to IPE decking via this forum. I could not have completed the IPE installation without the advice received here. Now that the decking is in, I'm replacing the deck rail, posts, and balusters with redwood. Here are my questions...

1. Which stainless screw is best for fastening 1"x4" redwood appearance board to the 2"x2" redwood balusters? The original pressure-treated board/balusters were secured using 2" screw nails. Nasty stuff. My options with the redwood seem to be either the "SplitStop" stainless #6 2" square or star drive, "Silver Star" flat head or trim head #8 or #9, or the "Trimstar" #8 2" from Banner Elk. Perhaps I'm way off and should consider something else? I want a secure fastener, all stainless, that won't split the baluster and won't mushroom the appearance board like a larger head screw will.

2. Which stainless fastener is best for face screwing the 2"x8" redwood top rail to the top of the redwood posts? Unfortunately, the top rail over top of the posts is the design I must replicate due to Homeowners Association standards. Should the drill holes be plugged?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Jeff

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths