SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenmoranuk

Add a newell post? Switch to wood hand rails?

Karenmo
3 years ago

I could use some advice about the main stairwell of our 1970 development house! Should we replace its metal handrails with wood handrails, complete with a classic recessed panel newel post?

The other day, I saw that a neighbor's contractor had made this change, and now I can't get it out of my mind!!! Especially since I grew up in a 1920s house with a classic oak newel post...so it's triggering fond childhood memories. We'll probably sell this house in about two years, so I won't have long to enjoy this improvement if we pursue it, but perhaps it might also mean something in terms of resale to eliminate the cheap-looking metal rails, which seem like a detracting feature to me.
(I never liked them.) The exterior of our house is more or less Colonial, with a traditional, slightly transitional internal styling.

I'd probably want a recessed panel newel post stained to match the stairs and floor which are red oak, and handrails the same, with the balusters painted white. I am undecided about the baluster shape but the simple square ones seem cleanest and the best pairing with the kind of newel post I want. The current trend for white-painted risers is one we'll skip -- too irreversible for me! I've included three photos our our stairwell and a couple from the web.

Any advice is welcome!

Custom Millmade Staircase · More Info

Kirkland Traditional · More Info

Comments (8)