SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edwena_gw

Exterior Painting Problems

edwena
18 years ago

I posted the following on the "Remodeling Forum" and didn't get much response so I am posting on this forum because a searth indicates that there is more painting discussion on this forum.

"Exterior Painting Problems - Old House - Cedar Siding

Posted by edwena (My Page) on Fri, Mar 10, 06 at 0:17"

My 1911 house has a concrete brick foundation (about 6 feet above the ground) with split cedar siding on the rest of the first floor and all of the second floor. I started preping and painting the exterior a couple of summers ago. The front (east facing) and north side went very well. The south side is another story altogether. The shingle paint was/is in very poor condition. It was very chipped and crazed. I didn't want to scrape or sand because I though that would ruin the split look of the siding. I did some research and decided to strip the worst part with Peel Away for exterior. The stripping process went very well. The problem is twofold. First, stripping revealed that someone sometime put something yellow between each shingle. It is hard, cracked, broken and difficult to remove without damaging the edge of the shingles. I assume someone believed they had to fill all the spaces between shingles with some kind of caulk. I didn't realize that the north and east side had caulk between each shingle and I painted the walls as they were. They didn't require scraping or sanding. I don't know what to use to remove this material, and what to replace it with so that the south side will look like the north and east.

That is the first problem, the second is that I only stripped the worst parts on the south side and I am wondering whether I should go ahead and strip all of this side so that the finished paint job will have the same look and sheen. Using Peel Away means that I have to strip, neutralize a couple of times, and then wait 90 days for the cedar to dry. It also means using an acrylic primer and then I assume an oil primer to keep the cedar from bleeding. I guess that I should use the same stripper so that the finished product will be uniform.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have been dreading this all winter. I suppose I will have to do some kind of gentle brushing to the already bare cedar (two winters) before painting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Exterior Painting Problems - Old House - Cedar Siding

Posted by: ericwi (My Page) on Sat, Mar 11, 06 at 11:04

Peel Away is a new product to me, but I'm glad to hear that it worked so well for you. I don't understand the need for removing old caulk before repainting, I would probably leave this material in place, and then prime.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE: Exterior Painting Problems - Old House - Cedar Siding

Posted by: edwena (My Page) on Sat, Mar 11, 06 at 16:27

The old caulk is cracked, chipped, and missing in some places. It presents as a very irregular joint between the shingles.

Comments (3)