SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tbarth248

caulking between ceiling and crown molding

tom248
18 years ago

Several months ago, I installed crown molding in several rooms. Its an older house (1965) and the walls/ceilings are not exactly flat/level, so there were alot of small gaps in the molding-to-ceiling edge. So I used some painters caulk (DAP from Home Depot) to fill the gaps. Let it dry for 24 hours, primed with Kilz Premium, and painted with Benjamin Moores paint. All was well for a month or so, and then small cracks started appearing along the edge. Its not the caulk which is cracking but where the calk and molding or caulk and ceiling connect.

Did I miss some step? Isn't the caulk supposed to be flexible enough to deal with slight movements within the molding due to temp/humidity changes? The molding is not at all loose, so from what I can guess either: a) the caulk shrunk a little; b) the caulk did not "stick" well enough to the ceiling or molding; c) the molding contacted/expanded because of temp/humidity changes and broke the seal.

Any idea what I can do the prevent this from happening again? I'd like to fix it. Any idea how? I don't want to remove all the caulk, redo and repaint if its going to just happen again.

Thanks for any advice

- Tom

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths