SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

Vintage and/or Antique Bookcases? Is there such a thing?

anele_gw
14 years ago

Does anyone know when bookcases began to be popular? I am having a very hard time finding any that are older than the '60s. I do NOT want barrister bookcases, and those are typically the only older ones I have found.

Comments (28)

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

i don't know when they became popular but i do have one older than the 60's. besides my barrister one. i have no idea where it is now tho. I have things in storage in 2 places... but the bookshelves are glass.

I'm a big help, aren't I? gee, I thought I had 3 bookcases but now I can't remember what the 3rd one is / looks like...

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

I think bookcases were usually built-in, and even that may have been fairly rare in the Americas due to lack of books and in general lack of space in the early homes (17th -18th century). You may be able to find much earlier bookcases (furniture) or secretaries that were made in Europe.

What are you looking for? I've seen a fair number of older bookcases (some massive, some small, but all usually fairly low) made in late 19th century in antique stores here in CT. Where are you located? Out West may be harder to find (same problem as 18th century East Coast).

• Related Discussions

End tables on CL: Antique or Vintage?

Q

Comments (29)
    Add a mirror on top and these would be called "chiffoniers". These are lovely chest-of-drawers. Maybe these are not chest-of-drawers and I am fooled about their size. I see a knob on the top board. Does this slide out?
    ...See More

Your thoughts on this antique/vintage mirror?

Q

Comments (43)
    That is the original finish on it, Lynn. I don't have any black in the DR, so think I'll leave it as it is. I fear that paint may obscure the carving, and I do like the variations in the finish now. Ajsmama, No, I'm NOT moving! What I meant was the mirror may not stay on that wall or in that room, but that is where it'll be for a while. :-) nanabella, The mirror is already purchased, and after looking literally for weeks online, I wasn't able to find a single one like it, other than the older one shown in the link I placed above in an earlier post, which sold for $1200. Those that were made by the 'mega loads' must still be with their original owners, since I wasn't able to find another like this one. If you know if a site with one like this, I'd love to see it, if you can provide a link.
    ...See More

Help me identify vintage/antique industrial cabinet

Q

Comments (4)
    There were companies that made lots of similar cabinets for trades, metal, wood, plumbing and various other shops. Most of these cabinets either had a small piece of metal attached somewhere or the name of the company was stamped into the metal. Without examination in person and finding marker I doubt if anyone on here can help you. In its present condition it appears that it is useful for what it was intended. Storing things. There is one difference between this one an the ones in the school shop 50+ years ago and that is the name holders on the inside. It makes me think that they were not originally there but something that was cut to fit. Whatever would be placed in the drawers in order to see the name would need to be very short as the labels should be above the item. Enjoy and use it as a now rustic metal cabinet.
    ...See More

Antique & vintage figurines

Q

Comments (35)
    Another Napco Christmas lover here, I like the Lefton brand too. For me they have to be the shiny finish. That said I do not have too many as I am not willing to pay a lot for them. I have been wanting the choir boys for years, I am thinking I may go crazy and pay the going rate at some point. My Dad inherited a lovely Royal Doulton lady probably 30 years ago, it was part of a full estate left to him by his aunt. Not long after my great aunt died I stopped by his house about 10 am and he was unexpectedly in the middle of having a garage sale. The Royal Doulton was sitting out for sale for $1. Could not believe that no one had picked it up. It went home with me. Unfortunately I was too late for some of the other things that I would have loved to own, but at least I have the Royal Doulton.
    ...See More
  • dilly_dally
    14 years ago

There are lots of them from the late 19th century.

I remember reading that it was during that time, the Victorian Era, that books became very affordable for the middle class, and bookcases became a popular way to display them to "show them off" and protect them. Older bookcases often have glass fronts to protect the books from soot since Victorian older homes often had fireplaces for heating and city living meant coal fired factories spewing soot into the air that got into homes. A greater percentage of people during that time could read and write, and having a bookcase in the home showed off how advanced and cultured the family was.

Since bookcases were so popular, they later became a common built-in in homes just like entertainment centers finally became a common built-in in homes during the later part of the 20th century - everybody wanted/needed them.

• camlan
    14 years ago

This one's from (roughly) the 1920's. It's difficult to get a good picture of it because of the library table in front of it, but you get the idea. It's more Edwardian than Victorian, I think, but it has the glass doors, which do save on dusting.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

The Biltmore Manor (The library)

{{!gwi}}

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ajs and dilly: Ooooooh-- I had never thought about the fact that built-ins were so common at a certain point. (How I wish we had a home from one of those times, vs. our '50s one!) It makes sense that there would be some antique ones but not so much vintage.

desert: sounds like you have some hidden treasures!

camlan: LOVELY!

newdawn: I wonder if I can move in there? :)

• allison0704
    14 years ago

1st dibs always has older bookcases, but they are not inexpensive:

Here is a link that might be useful: 1st dibs

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

I don't know what style vintage bookcase you are looking for. I have one that is from "before the '60s" but it is so plain and common looking I can't see anyone going on a quest to find one like it.

It looks like every common bookcase sold today.

Are you looking for something MCM?? Try using the search term *teak* along with *vintage bookcase*. Even if you do not want teak those search terms will lead you to sites that sell other MCM bookcases.

{{!gwi}}

I would not rule out glass front bookcases if you are going with vintage. It's what was popular.

Here is a link that might be useful: Teak Bookcases

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

I'd just buy a rather plain one and add crown molding and trim, if you're looking for traditional. Easier, cheaper, and you get the look of old with the shelf size of new.

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Ideefixe said what I was thinking. Here is a cool BH&G article showing fabulous bookcase makeovers. It comes up showing the "before" and two thumbnails. Click on the "after" thumbnail to get the big photo and the explanation of what they did. You might get some ideas. My favorite was the laundry station made out of the old entertainment center with all the holes in the back of it. What a transformation!

Maybe you can pick up some other type of older piece in your CL that you can do a makeover on to give it the antique look? Not just moulding, but there are also wooden appliques that might come in handy, depending on the shape of the piece.

Here is a link that might be useful: 9 Beautiful Bookcase Makeovers

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

I used to have a massive bookcase that appeared to be period American Empire - 6' long & 5' tall, mahogany, 3 doors w/13 pane fronts, reeded columns, & paw feet. It's a possibility it was a reproduction made around 1900 by a local furniture maker (Biggs Co of Richmond VA), nationally known for their accurate reproductions of 18th & early 19th century pieces. I have a few pages from one of their catalogs (no bookcase shown) & their Empire line was copied from pieces circa 1796 so it's safe to say bookcases have been around since the late 18th century. I doubt anyone but the very wealthy owned such a piece of furniture in the late 1700's.

• lindac
    14 years ago

There was a "cult" of Ethan Allen furniture in the late 1950's and 60's. There were book cases galore and all meant to blend with "traditional" furniture of one style or another. All my friends had some sort of Ethan Allen book case, hutch, desk, console sort of thing. I am sure they are out there as "used furniture".

My parents were married in 1930 and the first piece of furniture they bought was a book case...I wish I had it.

Book cases which were free standing pieces of furniturev ery often had glass doors 100 years and more ago. And they often doubled as "curio cabinets".
    "Fine homes" often had lots of built in shelves and cabinets.
    The little guy had simple shelves, oak, walnut or mahogany which were often fairly simple and designed to appear built in.
    What period are you looking for? Check out household sales, estate sales and auctions. They're out there.
    Linda C

• gillianma
    14 years ago

Yes, vintage bookcases certainly do exist, but they tend to get snapped up fast by book lovers like me. I have 2 oak glass fronted ones (circa 1890 and 1940 respectively), two "folding" pressed oak ones (I find these interesting and pretty), dates unknown but probably turn of the 19th century, one oak with adjustable shelves (probably 1910) and one very lovely mahogany glass front with dentil molding at the top (circa 1930).

I'm not sure where you live, but I saw several nice bookcases today in New Hampshire antique stores. I thought they were rather over priced at $150 - $350, but they were all beautiful. Just keep looking and bookcases will find you :-)

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Not what you are looking for, but cleaver use of these old retail racks. I see these racks for sale all the time at thrift stores and wondered how someone would used them in their home. A cute idea for a kid's room.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Since a few of you asked, I am looking for something to go with my dining room pieces (yes, I know this is a controversial room to put a bookcase in but my kids REALLY use books in there). My pieces range from the '20s to '40s. They are pretty formal, but I'm trying to pull back on that look, so I would like something with curvy lines that I can paint into a more cottage look, maybe put paper on the backing or paint a contrasting color. So, I don't want anything precious that I would not want to change.

allison-- I only buy inexpensive but TY for the link! Nice to look at!

dilly-- Are those mostly real wood at least? Then I could use them to redo. Not looking for MCM . . .more of a '20-'40s look. Cute use of the retail rack!

ideefixe-- I have been thinking about how to do that with my IKEA bookcases, at least adding some braid trim or something.

linda: That's a good idea, to look for Ethan Allen pieces and I can change them without worry about ruining the value.

antique: Mmm . . .sounds amazing!

oceanna-- Nice link! Very inspirational. I think the key was that they started with an actual wood bookcase. That's what I will look for with a makeover.

gillian: I haven't seen any bookcases anywhere near that price-- most are easily over $1000. I'm in the midwest, or I'd be running to that area!

• funkyart
    14 years ago

Anele, I love the idea of putting a bookcase in your DR-- and feeding your kids' love of books. Have you checked out ebay? A lot of the bookcases are way out of the price range but there are also some options under $200. More importantly, I think it can give you an idea of what is out there (and might be worth waiting for). Once you have a style in mind, you can wait/watch your local stores and CL for the right piece.

Something else you could do is to keep an eye out for a hutch or china cabinet that could accommodate books. I did use my china cabinet for books for awhile. Mine wasn't a good option for daily removal/replacement of books but if found one that was solid enough, it would work great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay: Antiques:Furniture

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

There have been a number of posts here about how to gussy up Ikea/plain bookcases to make them look built in. I think it's a pretty easy fix, esp. if you paint the finished pieces to match the wall.

On the other hand, if that's too much work, the Ikea Leksvik line is more traditional-- I have them in Gustavian grey and they're nice--used to be in my Storybook house dining room with books on the top, and china/serving pieces on the larger shelves.

Real antique bookcases don't have shelves big enough for modern art books, larger formats, etc.

I've linked to the Ikea page--there's also the Grevback line which is more traditional. Normally, I do believe in buying older things, but sometimes the hunt isn't worth it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea bookcases

• User
    14 years ago

Many of the old bookcases end up being called "curio cabinets" or were used as low china cabinets ... just look at the shelves and glass doors and decide what to use it as.

Controversial to have bookcases in dining room? HAH! I scoff at the idea! (and we read at the table, too)

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

funky-- I think I have no choice about the books! I already took one big bookcase out, and my 7 yo DD complained, "I think you are trying to turn the dining room into a parlor. Pretty soon you won't even let us eat in here!" LOL! Good idea about e-bay . . .and that is what I was wondering about a curio type cabinet with glass-- how easy it would be to get books in/out since my kids tend to browse for books in the DR several times a day (usually for meals, though we say no for dinner!).

ideefixe, yes, I agree-- size is an issue. I saw a very, very cute bookshelf yesterday at a fleamarket but I knew it would only hold paperbacks, and I need something deeper. I will look for those IKEA threads!

lazy . . .I love your room!!!!!

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Dilly - I would olove to find one of those for DD's room. Right now we have a 2-shelf bookcase (that she won't let me repaint - it's white with pink and purple and green sponge painting and stamped snowflakes) b/t her closet and door.

lazy - yes, we can see that. But do you *eat* at the table LOL?

• funkyart
    14 years ago

Lazy's room makes me jealous haha. I can't believe I am working on a Dr when what I really want is a library.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Go for the doc funkyart and you'll have your library. (lol)

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Oh Dr stands for Dining Room, duh!

• lindac
    14 years ago

Reading in the dining room? Want something deep , perhaps that will hold kids books...
    Why not a small buffet? You could keep the books behind the doors but the kids could browse easily and it would be deep enough to hold those over sized children's books.
    And...when they have outgrown the kids books you can turn it back into a buffet and but another type of book shelf for the dining room.
    Aso I have 3 of those tables with the shelf beneath which holds books. You can store a lot of books between bookends on those little tables.
    Linda c

• User
    14 years ago

anele, I've kept away from here until I just couldn't help myself. I love books and all sorts of furniture styles, but I too couldn't think of what older than MCM bookcases might look like. Well today I took the plunge and when I saw the era you were looking for "more of a '20-'40s look" I knew what to look for. Art Deco. Here's a nice, but simple style linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• User
    14 years ago

Craftsman would also be within that era. You'd have a much easier time finding old or remakes of craftman/mission style bookcases too.

Here is a link that might be useful: craftsman bookcases

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

"dilly-- Are those mostly real wood at least? Then I could use them to redo. Not looking for MCM . . .more of a '20-'40s look. "

Yes, as I said use *Teak* as a search term to find MCM bookcases. That term will go to site that feature MCM stuff that is both Teak and ones in other woods.

You say you want '20-'40s ones and those show up on CL all the time. You may pay more for ones in excelent condition. This one is on CL today in my area for $500, and they say dowels and finished back, and cut glass knobs. They say '20s or '30s.

{{!gwi}}

• funkyart
    14 years ago

Hahah Anele, your daughter has quite the sense of humor. So do you, Newdawn haha. No, I am not working on a doctor-- at this point, I'd rather a carpenter or a painter. Someone I can put to work LOL.

I think a tall narrow bookshelf like the one Just posted would work best in your room. Those glass doors look sturdy enough for kids-- and they were intended for a bookshelf (and thus to be used). The door I have on my china cab (similar style to the last one dilly posted) is antique bowed glass. It is not only very delicate but also hard to replace if broken. I stopped using it for books myself and wouldn't dream of using it for kids.