SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ksblase

what size king bed do I buy

Karenseb
10 years ago

We have just moved into a home with a really nice sized master bedroom and we need to buy a new bedroom set. We would like to get a king size bed, but I am not sure if we should go with a standard king or a California king. The room is 14 feet by 18 feet long. The room has a pair of french doors flanked by two long windows on the 18 foot wall looking out to the garden.
The fourteen foot wall that I want to place the bed on also has two long windows.
Since the room is so long and I am putting the bed on the short wall, I thought that the longer, but slightly narrower king size bed would look nice between the two windows.
The space between the windows with trim is almost 81 inches. The windows with trim are almost 33 inches each.
The California king headboard is 76 in by 88 in long (mattress 72 in by 84 in)
The standard king headboard is 80 in 84 in (mattress 76 in by 80 in)
The nightstands are about 24 inches wide.
By my calculations, if I center the nightstand under the window, the nightstand will be about 9 inches from the California king mattress or 7 inches form the standard king mattress.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does 9 inches from the mattress (7 in from the headboard and rails) on the California king bed seem like too much space?

Comments (8)