SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlikin

Which sofa? (many pics)

14 years ago

Sofa shopping is harder than I expected. But I'm getting there. I originally wanted a medium-toned sofa (ideally, sage green) in the hopes that it might camouflage the cat hair a little better than a dark one. But then I fell in LOVE with a photo in a Crate & Barrel catalog of several very colorful pillows on a very dark brown sofa. Very dramatic. Totally impractical. But it was the first picture I'd seen that really spoke to me - especially after folks on this forum made me realize I liked clear bright colors better than muted earth tones - who knew? (Thanks, guys!)

I've already purchased one of the colorful pillows, and I plan to buy the other once it comes back in stock.

Â

Meanwhile, I've managed to narrow down my sofa selection to two: the one in the C&B photo - the Hennessy, and the York from Room & Board. They are very different in style:

Crate & Barrel Hennessy

Room & Board York

The Hennessy is a tight-back style, while the York has loose cushions. The Hennessy seems slightly more comfortable to sit on (the York is a little hard), but the loose-back style of the York means that I could remove the cushions and lay down a sheet for the occasional overnight guest. The York is slightly longer (87") than the Hennessy (82"). They both seem reasonably well-made, though the Hennessy will be quite a bit cheaper once I order it thru C&B's annual custom upholstery sale. Fabric is not a factor since I would get both in this same Doss Godiva (isn't that a great name) fabric. (It's a microfiber with a twill-like thin diagonal stripe to it. I mentioned to the C&B saleswoman that I was considering the nubby fabric that the Hennessy comes stock in, and she shook her head NO as soon as she heard I had cats.)

Oh, and here's the inspiration photo of the Hennessy with the colorful pillows (in the impractical fabric):

Comments, anyone?

Comments (25)